Chapter 17

One week turn into two, two ran into three and Rose was not missing Edward any less than she did the first day that he left

One week turn into two, two ran into three and Rose was not missing Edward any less than she did the first day that he left. Even Emma wouldn't stop asking for him the first two weeks. She insisted that her mother take her to the beach house on weekends so she could play in the sand.

Three weeks and still no word from him. She had tried calling him the first week but got no answer after that all her calls went straight to voicemail. She had basically given up any hope of ever seeing or hearing from him again. That is until the most unexpected complication stepped in.

She sat on the closed lid of the toilet staring blindly at the three test in front of her on the counter. All with the same results, positive.

This can't be happening, not again. It just can't. How is this even possible. He told me he can't have children.

A single tear rolled down her cheek and dripped onto her chest.

What am I going to do?

She sat there crying for a whole half an hour before she reached for some tissue to dry her face.

OK baby. We'll do the only thing we can do. Pick up the pieces and move on just like I did with your sister. Just like I did...with your sister.

Just the thought of going through thus again had her bursting into tears again. She suddenly felt like the small town woman who gets knocked up by whatever drifter that's passing through town.

Is this really what my life is? Is this the way things are going to be for me? No happy ending? Just single mother of two that gets knocked up and dumped by her children's father's.

A knock on the door had Rose quickly drying her face again.

"Give me a minute. I'll be right out"

"Are you alright sweetheart? You sound like you're crying"

She didn't care how childish she seemed right now. She was just happy to hear her mother's voice on the other side of the door. She threw the door open and threw her arms around her mother who in turn hugged her and patted her back as if consoling a upset child.

"What's wrong?"

"Everything is a mess mom"

"Is this about Edward? You haven't been yourself since he left"

"Its happening all over again mom"

"What is Rose?"

"I'm pregnant mom"

No one spoke, it is as if time stood still as they stood there right outside her bathroom door processing everything.

"Are you sure?"

"Three tests sure"

She stepped aside and pointed at the three pregnancy test on the bathroom sink.

"Is Edward the father?"

"Yes"

"Does he know?"

"I haven't spoken to him. He also told me he can't have children"

"Well those three tests and the baby in your stomach says otherwise dear"

"What am I going to do mom?"

"Well first you're going to have a seat and calm down. Then you're going to call the doctor and make an appointment. Then you're going to call Edward."

"I've been calling him mom. He's not taking my calls."

"Rose the man that I came to know was a man with very strong feelings for you. It was obvious to anyone who has eyes to see"

"I don't think so"

"Well I know so. That boy looked at you the same way your father looked at me and still does when he's in his mood"

"Mom gross"

"The point is. You don't know the reason he's not taking your calls. Something might have happened to him or even to his phone. If you can't reach him on his phone, write him a letter. Or better yet. Get on a plane and go see him."

"Mom you can't be serious"

"This is no laughing matter I'm afraid. So I'm very serious dear"

"But Emma has school and my job"

"Emma has family here and you're long overdue for vacation leave. You also have two new doctors on staff so you have no excuse"

Rose sat down on her bed and stared up at her mother. Everything she said made sense but she wasn't sure she had the guts to go see him.

"What if he doesn't want to see me?"

"Then you get back on the plane and come home. We'll be right here to help you just like we did with Emma"

"I'm scared mom"

"I know you are, but I also know you can do this. I raised a strong daughter. Now get on the phone and make your calls. I'll go make Emma a quick snack I think I hear her school bus outside"

                                  ***

Edwardus glanced at his cellphone that started ringing. He picked it up from the table.

Rose.

He clenched his teeth as he sent her call to voicemail.

This is for the best Edwardus. Talking to her will only make things harder not just for you but for her too.

He sent a curt nod to his business colleague who was in the middle of a presentation but had stopped when his cellphone had suddenly started ringing. He switched the device to silent.

"Go on" he said

"Yes sir"

It was hard to go back to listening once his phone had started ringing. He had always been a good businessman. He prided himself on his success. He didn't become a multi billionaire by getting distracted by personal issues. He shook all thoughts of Rose away and focused at the meeting at hand.

That's all he had been doing since he got home. Work and nothing but and whenever he wasn't at work he was attending state meetings or charity events. At nights he stayed locked away in his oenthouse suite requesting solitude with no exception.

When the meeting was finished he got up from his chair at the head of the table and walked out of the boardroom without a word.

"Ms. Jackson please hold all my calls until I tell you to send them through" he said to his assistant as he walked by her desk.

"Yes Mr. Augustinus"

He walked into his office, closed the door behind him then walked over to the mini bar in his office and poured himself a glass of scotch.

I wish I could see you right now.