Chapter 14

As Edward walked into the diner a bunch of persons started saying hi to him

"I was wondering when you would be back. I thought I might have scared you off the first time you came in" said Zelda as she poured him a cup of coffee.

"Nice to see you again Zelda"

"You too Edward. Now we still don't serve those fancy things you asked for last time but I promise you we have something to feed you. What will it be?"

"Breakfast sandwich and a large ice coffee please"

"Coming right up love"

He chukled as she walked away to get his order.

"Hey there sonny. You came back!" Said old man Frank walking into the diner.

"Yes sir. Couldn't stay away"

"Good to see you. I hope we'll see you at the town's dance later this evening"

"Town dance?"

"You really need to come into town more boy. Zelda get the man a flyer"

The waitress quickly returned with his drink and placed a flyer next to it.

"Be right back with your sandwich"

"Thank you"

"Read the flyer and come out. I've been going all my life. Ever since I was in my mother's belly. Actually I think I might have been conceived at one if those dances"

Edwardus choked on his drink as he took a sip. He turned surprised eyes to the old man who had gone to sit at his usual table.

"Now Frank you've done gone and let the young man choke. Will you just be quiet. I'm sure he will be there. I know Rose will be there"

With that she placed his sandwich on the table and sent him a wink as she walked over to Frank to pour his drink. While the two started bickering he picked up the flyer and started reading. Knowing that Rose would be there definitely spiked his interest.

"I hope I'll see you there" he heard someone say next to his ear.

He turned to see Emily. The young woman he had sat beside in church on sunday.

"I'm thinking about it"

"I'll save you a dance then"

He sent her a polite smile as she walked away from his table.

"The ladies sure do love you" he heard Frank comment before he chuckled which turned into a coughing fit.

Edwardus smiled and went back to his breakfast.

Later that evening when Edwardus got to the town square where the dance was he was starting to regret his choice of outfit. He had gone with a night at the club look while everyone else was sporting a western look. He parked and walked inside and stood to the back as he observed everyone.