Chapter 23

Rose rolled over in bed and reached for Edwardus, she felt disappointed when she realized she woke up alone

Rose rolled over in bed and reached for Edwardus, she felt disappointed when she realized she woke up alone. However that disappointment quickly died when she saw the note laying with a rose on the bedside table.

A Rose for my lovely Rose.
You are as beautiful as you are sweet.
I hope you slept well my love. I will be home as soon as I can steal away.

She picked up the flower and brought it to her nose and smiled. She made her way to the bathroom to refreshen up then to the kitchen to make some breakfast. While she ate she kept thinking how perfect last night was and how happy she is that Edwardus was finally so accepting of the news of their baby. At the thought she placed her hand over her still flat stomach then she instantly started missing Emma.

With a sigh she got up to clear the table but stopped to go answer a knock at the door. Who she found on the other side was more than a surprise to her.

"I can see you didn't expect to see me"

"Actually no I didn't"

"I'm not sure why not. After all you are the other woman having relations with my fiancé"

The way Tabitha brushed pass her and entered the apartment with a unfriendly scowl on her face, Rose could tell this visit was about to be a problem.

"Yes please. Do come in" she mumbled sarcastically

The scornful look Tabitha sent her showed Rose she did not find her to be at all funny.

Oh well. You can't please everyone.

Rose thought about offering the woman some refreshments but decided not to make this visit longer than she actually wanted it to be.

"How may I help you Tabitha?"

"That's princess Tabitha to you though for a commoner such as yourself, your highness will do."

Rose fought to keep her temper in check.

"Now Edwardus seems to be trying to have his cake and eat it too which for me is no problem. Husbands do take mistresses all the time. The problem comes in when that mistress steps out of line and takes things publicly! I don't know what you think is happening or is going to happen between you and Edwardus but I'm here to clear it up for you."

"Are you now?"

"Yes! Don't for a second get confused about who you are and will ever be in his life. Edwardus and I are to be married and there's nothing you can do or say to change that. This is more of a marriage designed to save this country and if he should ever decide to not go through with it, the destruction of this country will be on his shoulder. You see if Edwardus and I do not get married the country will be given to a family that our fair land trembles at the mention of their name. There's no way out of this marriage. I will be the one sitting next to him on the throne and you the mistress will remain in the background. If you ever try to step out of line again, I will order that you should be replaced. Believe me, what I want is what I get."

Rose didn't want to admit it but everything the princess was saying was putting a sinking feeling in her stomach. Subconsciously she reach down to touch her stomach. She saw the princess follow her action so she immediately removed her hand and walked pass the woman to clean up her breakfast mess.

"You're pregnant!?" She heard the princess ask in a tone that made her wince.

"I don't know what you mean"

"Oh don't give me that! My mom use to touch her belly when she was pregnant with my baby sister the same way you just did. Does Edwardus know?"

Rose turned to glare angrily at the other woman.

"So that's why he's putting up with you! This is a problem that needs to be taken care of and fast!"

"My child is none of your business and definitely not a problem. I'll be gone before anyone can think of making us a problem."

"Oh you simple minded woman. You don't know anything about royalty do you? Well of course not. Look at you. Walking around not properly groomed and cleaning up after yourself like a maid"

Rose slammed her hand on the table where she stood and trued not to wince and the pain. The action however did its job because the princess took a step back but still stood with her nose in the air.

"You're carrying a royal heir! That is suppose to be my child! I'm the one marrying him so its my duty to give him his first heir. If the public finds out this will turn into a nasty scandal. It will make Edwardus look weak as a future ruler! What were you thinking trying to trap him with a child!"

"I did no such thing!"

"Oh save it. I know women like you. You get tired of not being the center of attention in your role as a mistress so you find a way to make yourself more relevant. You're trying to make sure you stay in Edwardus's life so you go and get pregnant knowing a royal child cannot be raised anywhere but at the palace. Well you and that bastard child of yours will not stand in my way."

The princess stormed out of the penthouse and Rose picked up a cup and tossed it against the door in frustration causing it to shatter. Very much like her own heart was feeling at that very moment.

She slid onto the chair a cried into her hands feeling lost and alone. The phone rang a few times but she had neither the energy or mind frame to get up and go answer it. After crying for what felt like hours she finally got up to go put ice on her wrist that had started to swell. She found a first aid kit and tried wrapped her hand as best she could.

She turned at the sound of the door being opened and saw Edwardus rush in. She looked at him as he paused to look at the broken pieces of glass that crunched under his shoes when he walked in then she saw his eyes move to her bandaged writs.

"What is going on here!?"