Chapter 7

Edwardus made sure Emma had eaten enough pizza before he sent her off to bed

Edwardus made sure Emma had eaten enough pizza before he sent her off to bed. Her eyes kept darting to her mother that was fast asleep on the couch but he assured her that everything was alright and her grandmother would be there soon to spend the night.

He walked to the couch and looked down at Rose as she slept. He reached out to brush the hair from her face but dropped his hand to his side when he heard the front door open.

"Emma? Rose? Edward?" He heard Martha call.

Now why did that sounds so...don't even go there Edward.

"Through here!" He called

She rushed into the room and brushed past him immediately going to the couch where Rose lay fast asleep.

"She has a fever. Oh poor child. She's working herself too hard"

"She will be alright. I made sure she took some pills. She's gotten more colour in her cheeks than she had when I got here."

Martha turned to look at him then. He couldn't figure out the look on her face and he wasn't sure he liked it either. It was like she sees right into your soul.

"Thank you Edward. Thank you for being there for her tonight"

"Its no trouble at all. I guess you could say I came by at the right time."

"Well I'm glad you did when you did."

"Me too"

"If its not too much to ask. Can you please help me take her upstairs to her bedroom?"

He hesitated for just a moment before walking to the couch and slip his hand beneath her and lifted her in his arms. She mumbled in her sleep then threw her hand around his neck as he carried her up the stairs. His body went stiff as he felt her breathing against his neck as he mounted the stairs. An involuntary shiver zinged through his body. The way she rest against him made her seem vulnerable. It also awoke a feeling of protectiveness in him.

Protective? Why would I feel protective of her? I don't care about her right? And its not like I know her. The little things I know about her are enough to get on my nerves. No, protective isn't the right word, but what is?

So lost in thought he didn't realized he had paused outside the bedroom door starubf at her in his arms, not until Martha cleared her throat. With a quick glance behind him at the older woman he walked into the room and gently placed Rose on the bed.

He stepped back to allow Martha to move around him and sit on the edge of the bed. He noticed the way her hand trembled when she moved to pull the covers over Rose.

Poor woman is tired herself and worried on top of it.

Protectiveness swept through him again.

No, no, no! Not protectiveness. I don't know them well enough for that. I'm simply returning a act of kindness.

He turned and walked out of the room and went back downstairs. After pacing around for sometime he wondered into the kitchen and ended up making a pot of chicken soup from scratch. Cooking is something he loves to do to get rid of all the thoughts sailing around in his mind. With cooking he felt in charge, he felt caple, he felt ...at home. Often times those are things he hadn't felt back in his home country.

Martha walked into the kitchen with her nose raised as she smelled the aroma from the food that was circulating through the air.

"That smells mouth watering. Soup right?"

"Yes ma'am. I hope you don't mind me cooking here"

"I don't mind at all. I could have some of that myself. After your breakfast casserole I know you're a good cook."

He blushed.

"Thank you ma'am"

He turned away from her to check the pot after which he took a bowl and dished some of the soup from the pot unto the bowl and handed it to her where she sat at the counter.

"You should join me" she suggested

"Thank you but I'm afraid I had a big dinner on top of Emma insisting I eat a slice of pizza with her before she retired for bed"

When she nodded but remained looking at him he tried hard to keep his face blank. Inside he was a bunch of nerves.

"You're very formal" she commented

His initial reaction was panic, for he fared she was seeing him too much for who he really is. Then confusion stepped in because he knows for a fact that the way he's behaving now, cooking, getting to know people and helping others is far from who he was back home. Yet this woman in front of him was seeing beyond this.

"I'm sorry" he replied

"No need to apologize my dear. I'm sensing formality is required in your world"

Too close to home! His mind screamed at him to get out of there.

"I guess you could say that. Now that you're here I should get going. I hope Ms. Rose will be better soon."

"Thank you for everything Edward. I'll walk you out"

Together they walked to the door and said goodnight. He drove around town for a while as some crazy thoughts went through his mind. Crazy because he knew Rose would probably never agree seeing she was a woman that didn't seem to do well with accepting help she so clearly needs. Coming from him he knew she would flat out refuse any form of help.

Or I could do this anonymously. That way I can help her without her wanting to refuse or even trying to return anything.

He found himself chuckling, yes chuckling when he imagined what the look on her face would be if she was to ever find out what he was planning to do.

He turned the car around so he could drive back to the beachouse where he immediately found his cell phone and turned it on. As he expected a bunch of messages started coming in but he ignored then and dialled a number and immediately started rattling off a list of orders.