Chapter 13

"Wheeee!" Mama loudly shouted as the tire swing went round and round. Her eyes are closed and her head's tossed back enjoying the whirlwind ride. I merrily added my carefree laughter with her blaring shrieks. We both leaned back to let our heads hang off the edge of the swing. Whips of pink, blue, and purple hair swayed in the air.

This morning Mama had planned on going out on her regular trips to Auntie Ivy's apartment to tend to the plants in place of their mother. I had asked Mama if I could tag along in an effort to temper my anxiety of having her out of my sight. Mama cheerfully accepted my offer of company. Together, the two of us exited the house hand in hand and left Papa alone to sleep in.

Upon arrival to Aunt Ivy's home I helped Mama water the many plants cohabiting the apartment. Some of the more prickly plants tried biting off my fingers when I went to water them. Mama had to remind me how upset Auntie would be if she found out I hurt her babies to keep me from chopping the plants up with a knife. I let her handle the flora after that and immersed myself in cleaning and tidying up.

HaHaHaHaHa.

If people saw how domesticated the clown family is behind closed doors they'd laugh their asses off.

A maid periodically comes to clean the penthouse but Papa still expects his house to be kept in order by its occupants. Everyone in our house has responsibilities. Mama cooks a majority of the meals unless takeout is the general consensus. I clean the kitchen and any nicknacks around the house. Mama and I jointly take care of the laundry. Frosty takes out the trash which can be a variety of things ranging from garbage to bodies. Any mess that the nameless goons make they clean up before they leave. Papa...Papa mainly issues orders to others and very rarely he'll cook something.

Pfft. Domesticated clowns. Now, that's a riot.

"Haaaaa....It's been way too long since I goofed off for the fun of it." Mama rasped, out of breath from the shouting and squealing.

"Well we should get out more then. There are plenty of things to do in Gotham....Maybe next time we can sneak into the aquarium and watch the dolphins! Ooooooooh, we could hit the museum up too and steal us some paintings for the house!" I animatedly suggested.

The tire swing's spinning came to an end. The rest of the playground is mostly ruined beyond repair. This playground is one of the many abandoned parks in the seedier part of Gotham. Perfect place for the Quinns to hang out during daytime. Nobody would think to look for us in this dump. Hiding in plain sight is a clown's greatest skill.

"That sounds like some good fun, Puddin Pop." Mama wiggled her nose against mine in an eskimo kiss. She pulled back and smiled like the doting mother she is. "Lucy is something bothering you?"

Hold up, mood change.

"W-What?" I stuttered, caught off guard by the abrupt topic change. "Nothing's bothering me. I'm all sunshines and rainbows. See!" I flashed her a toothy grin.

Clowns, I tell you. Always shocking you with their unpredictable behavior.

Mama's smile didn't drop, it softened. "It's okay baby. You can always talk to Mommy if something's wrong. She'll always listen to you with an open heart."

I didn't budge.

Mama sighed and rested her head on the swing's chain. Figuring that I wasn't going to spill the beans she took it upon herself to ramble off about my stranger than usual behavior. "I know something's wrong Puddin Pop. You've been anxious and on edge ever since Puddin came back home. Isolating yourself and muttering under your breath about Bats and Belle Reeve." I sharply inhaled when she mentioned Belle Reeve. Mama didn't notice and continued rambling. "Mistah J says you ain't been focused on anything he tells you and you alternate between mopping round the house or actin overly clingy with him and me. Now I don't mind the clingy part one bit but you know how Puddin feels about you walking round the house with a frown. If you don't straighten out Daddy's goin to put the smile back on his Princess's face one way or another."