Chapter 20

"Enchantress." The name echoed within the depths of my mind, forcefully waking me from a deep sleep. I jolted up, wide awake. Objects in the room shook and the lights went out. I scrambled away from the oppressive force next to me. The lights came back on following a dark chuckle. The Enchantress sat on the bed in place of June-Bug. She smirked, raising her hands to her mouth as Ricky quickly tried to phone his boss.

"Ah, ah." Enchantress hummed, flicking her hands at Ricky. The soldier stood frozen in a vision created by Enchantress.

Shit! I knew this was going to happen. How could I have fallen asleep right next to the girl with an evil witch inside her?

I scooted further away from Enchantress. The movement caught her attention and she turned her amber orbs on me. She tilted her head in curiosity before gracing me with a malicious smile. "Intruder...."

"W-What?!" I asked in shock.

Could she somehow know about me?

"Intruder." Enchantress repeated. She raised her hands and flicked them at me, the same way she did for Ricky. I felt the room spin as my mind was invaded with a vision. Suddenly I wasn't in the hotel room anymore.

"You don't own me. I'm not just one of your many toys." I sang to my reflection in the mirror as I curled my lovely brown hair. The same song I was singing played in the background on my phone. I danced a little to the music in my crowded bathroom. The leftover heat from my shower and the rising heat from my flatiron caused the mirror to fog up.

Dumb bathroom. I already opened the window. Hurry up and go away stupid fog!

"Don't tell me what to do. And don't tell me what to say. Please, when I go out with you, don't put me on display." I finished curling my hair to perfection. Next I moved on to applying makeup to highlight my green eyes. Done with my makeup, I wiggled into a new violet dress I splurged and bought for this special day.

It takes time and patience to be this beautiful. I'm sure to break a few hearts tonight.

"You don't own me. Don't try to change me in any way." I sang the last chorus and puckered my lips, blowing a kiss to my my reflection. "You look damn good, Abigail." I walked out of my cramped bathroom and into the living room/kitchen. On the counter was a package that I had stored in my freezer.

"Congratulations. You made it through another year, Abby." I opened the container, revealing a chocolate cake. I tore open the box of candles and stabbed the appropriate number of candles needed into the cake. I stepped back to admire the cake.

I sighed and tucked some hair behind my ear. "Another birthday I have to spend alone. Worse, I gotta sing at the club tonight. Sucks to be me." I reached over for my phone and clicked on another song to fill the silence in my shabby apartment.

I'd been living somewhere nicer before, but after my disastrous falling out with my ex I had to pack up and leave. Things were going so well with him too. Until my boyfriend turned out to be a psychopath. Why do I always fall for the bad boys?

"I better blow out the candles before they melt." I bent over my cake. "Make a wish Abby." I closed my eyes.

I wish I could have a family.

A soft wind blew out the candles. I stood back up and opened my cabinet to get a plate. As I was getting ready to cut a slice for myself, someone knocked on the door. I cursed and went to open the door.

Crystal is here early. Her constant need to be on time for work can be really annoying sometimes. I shouldn't complain since she lets me carpool with her for free.