Chapter 28

"Oh, this is the night, it's a beautiful night. And we call it bella notte." I sang to the midnight sky. The dock was alight from the many boats hosting parties, meetings, or general midnight fishers.

Papa and Mama were on one of the yachts, busy with a meeting that turned into a party. The meting had gone well, with Papa walking away with the promise of a delivery within the next few days. The man dealing with Papa was also hosting a lavish party and offered free reign of the boat to Papa for the rest of the night. Papa hadn't wanted to stay but Mama convinced him to stick around for the entertainment. I had gotten bored of the stuffy boat and slipped out for some fresh air. Frosty escorted me outside and stood back to play lookout for me.

"Look at the skies, they have stars in their eyes. On this lovely bella notte." I kicked my bare feet in the air. The boardwalk is too high for me to actually put my feet in the water. My shoes had been carelessly pushed off to the side.

"Why are you outside alone, singing to thin air?" A new voice startled me out of singing. I turned around to see a dark haired boy with bright blue eyes.

"Um, cause it's fun." I stupidly answered. The boy sent me an equally unimpressed frown.

He's talking to me. Does he not know who I am? I would think the bleached skin would give it away.

"It's all pointless and dumb. What if you catch a cold? Or end up kidnapped?" The boy stepped closer to me. "What an odd girl. Are most females this strange?" He muttered to himself while examining me.

"You're the strange one. Look at what you're wearing." I pointed to his odd getup. The boy was dressed in some black garb. The material looked more like robes than actual clothes. He must be a foreigner because no one dresses like this in Gotham. "And you're outside alone too, kiddo."

"These are sacred robes befitting a master swordsman. Do not belittle me by addressing me as kiddo." The boy scowled, crossing his arm in a haughty manner. "You are the more strange one. I've never seen someone with such deathly pale skin. Are you ill?"

I stood up, grinning at the miffed boy. It's always fun to play with other arrogant people, they get so angry over the silliest things. "You're not from here, are you? What's your name?"

The boy was silent for a few moment before gracing me with an answer. "You may call me Damian."

Oh, shit! This can't be anyone but Damian Wayne. I would have never have known since I've only seen him as a cartoon character. He's a real person. My mind is literally blown.

"And you are?" Damian impatiently prompted. I jumped and hastily curtsied, getting back into my act of being a princess.

"Lucia Quinn, nice to meet'cha." I rose up from the curtesy with a well placed smile to hide my unease. "But you can call me, Lucy."

"Your name sounds familiar. But what is that accent? It's not the standard Gotham tongue I've researched." Damian leaned forward, once again analyzing me like I was some weird alien he couldn't figure out.

"You are such a charming boy. You've already called me strange and poked fun at my skin. Now you're commenting on my speech. Do you always talk to girls like this?" I teased him. I'm not sure what he knows about me or my family, but I'd like to keep this encounter peaceful. I don't want to dirty my pretty new dress.

"No. Most females I speak to are servants and they don't talk much. I suppose you're the first female I've spoken to that isn't a servant or my mother."

"You poor, poor, boy. No wonder you're so dreadfully awkward." I patted him on the shoulder in mock sympathy. Damian looked visibly shocked by my casual action. "I'll forgive your rude behavior this time. I know it's tough talking to a pretty girl for the first time." Damian's shock wore off and turned to indignation.