Chapter 21

"Won't fit anymore? Too much junk in the trunk?" Mama teased Deadshot, who was staring at his headgear. She applied bright red lipstick to her lips and winked when Deadshot turned around.

"Naw. Every time I put this on, somebody dies." Deadshot looked grim. He glanced at Mama, expecting to see disapproval. I snorted from my seat on the rim of Mama's case.

Major deja-vu. I had a similar conversation with Deadshot back when I was younger. He had the same apprehensive look on his face as he does now. It's amazing that no matter how old they get, people still subconsciously want to be accepted by others.

"And?" Mama questioned, not bothered by the news. She finished applying her makeup and put it all back in the case. With her makeup done, Mama was all suited up in her trademark t-shirt and tiny shorts. The other members of the squad started inching closer to Mama and Deadshot.

"I like putting it on." Deadshot smirked, pleased that Mama wasn't bothered by his admission.

"Goodie." Mama pulled a mallet out of the case and spun it around while she smiled excitedly. "Something tells me a whole lotta people are about to die." She wiggled her eyebrows suggestively.

Diablo chose to insert himself into conversation now that the ice had been broken. "Yeah it's us. We're being led to our deaths." Diablo uncomfortably fixed his jacket. His dark, despairing eyes then fell on me. "And they're even involving a kid in this. She shouldn't be here."

"Don't you worry about my Puddin Pop. She can handle herself just fine and if she gets into trouble, I'll bail her out." Mama waved off Diablo's concern. She did send me a worried glance as she handed me her mallet. I returned her glance with a confident smile. Diablo tried to persuade Mama otherwise, but Captain Boomerang cut him off.

"Hey, what's that crap on your face? Does it wash off?" The Aussie used his boomerang to gesture to the multiple tattoos covering Diablo's skin that made him look more corpse-like. Croc let out a deep chuckle.

Mama picked up her trusty good-night bat and rested it over her shoulder. "Hey, if you like a girl can you light her cigarette with your pinky?" She joined in on the hazing and raised her pinky to her mouth. "Because that would be real classy."

"You'll might wanna leave homeboy alone." Deadshot jumped in to end the joking around, catching on to Diablo's uneasy shuffling. "He can torch this whole joint. Ain't that right, ese?" Deadshot let the threat hang in the air.

"You got nothin to worry about from me. I'm cool homie." Diablo tipped his head at Deadshot and stepped back from the group. The others let him go and went back to checking on their gear.

"Now you hold on to that mallet, Puddin Pop. It's going to be your new best friend, got it?" Mama patted my head.

"Got it....Um, Mama?" I uttered. Mama tilted her head, urging me to go on. "Can I have a gun too?" I asked in all seriousness.

I don't have spectacular accuracy when it comes to using guns, but I'm going to need more than a mallet to stay alive in a fight against Enchantress's minions. I really wish I was some weapons expert. Only thing I'm good at using is knives and that's cause they're light enough for me to use. Guns just don't work for me at this point in my life.

"Hmmm." Mama hummed, crossing her arms to earnestly think about my request. "I guess it wouldn't hurt to give you one. But I want you to use it only in emergencies. Your aim's still spotty." Mama gave me a harness with a simple gun inside it.

"Woah, does she know how to use that? Cause I'd hate to die by friendly fire." Deadshot dubiously watched me take my jacket off and put the harness on.