Chapter 29

"Stop!" The sharp shout caused me to jump in fright. I gasped as my foot slipped and I fell forward.

What a freaking idiot! Who screams at someone standing on a ledge?! I'm gonna die because of you!

An arm wound itself around my waist. I looked up to see Damian scowling at me. He reached inside his robes and pulled out a graphing gun. The gun was fired and we swung toward the side of another building. We hit the wall with an audible thump. Damian grunted from the impact, but kept a firm grip on my waist.

"You stupid girl! What were you thinking?!" The insult was harshly hurled at me.

"What were you thinking, you insolent mongrel?! I fell because you shouted!" I argued back, smacking his arm in frustration. The adrenaline was still circulating in my system. Damian growled and hit a button on his gadget that made us quickly ascend to the top of the building. When we reached the top, Damian told me to climb up the ledge first.

"Don't you dare look up my skirt or I'll carve your eyes out." I threatened him.

"Wouldn't dream of it, peasant." Damian hissed, glaring right back at me. I lifted my elbows onto the ledge, pushing myself over. I rolled off the ledge, ungracefully landing on my backside. Damian climbed up and swung off the ledge, smirking at the sight of me curled up on the ground. "Not the most graceful person are you?"

"Shut up." I snarled. My heart's pounding so hard it's hard to breathe. I feel sick.

This is pathetic. I said I wasn't going to let fear rule me.

"Are you unwell? You're shaking." Damian's voice lost its haughtiness. He warily approached me like you would a wounded animal.

"I don't need your help! Go away already!" I shrieked, furiously rubbing at my wet eyes. I can't let him see me cry. Mama told me I'm not supposed to cry in front of anyone but my parents.

"How ungrateful. I saved your life." Damian stopped, losing any traces of concern.

"I wasn't in danger until you butted in." I took slow, steady, breathes to calm down, but my heart continued to painfully pump.

I wish he would just leave. I need to be alone. I can't be seen like this by anyone. Princess Lucia has an image to uphold.

"Really? So you were just admiring the view while standing on the edge of an extremely tall building?" He pressed. "It looked like you were going to take the plunge. And that's the coward's way out."

"Shut up, shut up, shut up! You don't know anything. I wasn't gonna jump, asshole!" I jumped up. My heart sped up again at the thought of the ledge and how I fell. "Suicide would be an ugly way for the Princess of Crime to go out." Damian recoiled from the dark intensity of my sneer.

Go away! Go away! You're making everything worse!

"Princess.....Of Crime?" Damian looked confused by my outburst. "That's a similar moniker to the Joker's...." Rapidly his face shifted to an enraged scowl from putting the pieces together. I saw him stare at my pale skin and bleached hair in a new light. "You're the spawn of my father's arch-nemesis?!"

"The one and only." I spitefully bowed. "Whatcha gonna do Son of Batman?"

Damian's rage took over after hearing me connect the dots. He charged at me, drawing out a sword and swinging it at my head. I cartwheeled backwards, clipping him in the chin with my foot and barely avoiding his blade. A fight is just what I need.

"I'll kill you and rid this city of another evil!" Damian pointed his sword at me.

"Go ahead and try. I've proven to be hard to kill." I pulled out a long knife from my boot and twirled it in my hand. I'm not losing to Batman's sidekick.