XXIII : Go To Hell

Present (1965); TulsaDallas Winston:

Dallas Winston:

                            The next day Daisy was still asleep, the nurses and doctors said at any minute she could wake up. Apparently Daisy was improving, but every time I looked at her I wished she'd look back.

"Here Dal, got you some clothes and shit." Steve placed a duffel bag in my lap.

I thanked him, my hair was greasy and ironically I hated when it got greasy. The nurse told me I could use the shower in Daisy's room, so I took the quickest shower a guy could take. When I sat back down Daisy hadn't moved, shocker.

I sighed and took her hand in mine, Steve was the only one here besides me. He had a day off since his work schedule was changing for school, I knew Daisy'd be pissed if she missed Johnny and Scout going off to school.

"You ever gonna finish school, Dal?" Steve asked me and I shrugged.

"I don't think a diploma would affect the way I roof, or any job I get." I told him and he nodded.

"I want Daisy to go to college, but she refuses. She wants Johnny to go." I said.

"She's gotta wake up Dal, I know she will." Steve said and I gave him a small smile.

"So how's it feel to be a senior?" I asked the greaser that sat across from me.

"I'm ready to get the hell out of school." He laughed.

"I'm gonna run to the cafeteria, I'll get you somethin'." Steve said and I nodded in response.

I focused my attention to the blonde girl in front of me. "Come on doll, wake up." I pleaded.

I felt her fingers twitch in my hand and my heart stopped. I hopped up as the nurse walked in.

"Her fingers moved, does that mean she's waking up?" I asked, hope laced through my voice.

"It could be muscle spasms, which means she's getting better." She smiled at me and a grin grew on my face.

"I think unconscious patients like to be talked to, maybe it helps them. Try talking to her more, maybe it'll help." She informed me and I nodded.

I sat back down and Johnny walked in, Scout trailing behind him. "Her fingers moved." I told them excitedly.

Smiles grew on their faces as they sat down.