The Friday That Teared The King In Two

The whole town gathered in the village square, fear swept across their weak faces. Melusine sat silently behind one of the market stands, trying her hardest to stay hidden. She watched as the villagers made their way to towards the crowd, clenching to their children. "Welcome, Baltanians." the whole crowd stared as a rather attractive young lady walked across the wooden stage that was placed in the centre of the village. "The time has come again..." she paused for a minute, straightening her vibrant blue dress and twirling her golden blonde hair. "Unfortunately, another name must be drawn." The villagers began to squirm. "I know this is hard, but it must be done. For our kingdom's sake." The king sat proudly in the distance, clenching his daughter's hand. The lady on stage shuffled around, pulling an arrangement of silver scrolls from the pocket of her dress.

"Now..." she ran her fingers over the scrolls, then carefully chose one. A horrible look spread over her face. "Oh dear..." she gulped, staring at the king with her heavy green eyes. "This can't be right..." the king looked disapprovingly. Sweat dripped from his pale for-head. Lilith, his young daughter, stared at Melusine. Her face, like her fathers, was pale and creamy. She sighed, placing her eyes back towards the centre of the stage. "Now... The result is rather upsetting. But, as a rule, anyone chosen from the scroll must follow through as the sacrifice." taking a breath, the young lady began to read off the frail scroll that lay in her hands. "Lilith..." she paused. "This week's sacrifice is Lilith." the crowd's mouths dropped. Poor, sweet little Lilith.

"This can't be true!" The King leaped from his throne, rushing over to the stage, his daughter in hand. Tears rolled down Lilith's pretty face. "I will arrest you for this! She is my daughter!" The King's rage echoed through the town square. Everything fell silent. Taking a deep breath, the King continued. "What made you take her! Please, spare her!"

The lady on the stage sighed. "I would love to spare your daughter. I really would, but you made an agreement that anyone chosen must remain as the sacrifice." She paused. "Even if it was your own daughter."

Rain brewed in the sky above. Melusine rushed through the crowd of people. She needed nothing else but to reach her. To get to Lilith.

Lilith stood on the stage, enclosed by the King's finest knights. She smiled weakly, attempting to cheer up her broken father.

"Oh, father." she whispered, staring down at him with her sea blue eyes. "There's nothing that could be done." In his heart, the King knew this was true. It was him that had made that rule. The rule that would kill his daughter. He fell to the ground, his once fancy robe stroked with mud and salty tears.

"This can't be right!" Melusine charged onto the stage, forcing her way through many knights. She reached for her sword, hiding it behind her back. "The King makes the laws!" She smashed her feet into the stage, causing parts of it to splinter. Her sword rested on the lady's neck. She was not afraid to hurt someone, or kill for that matter, to get what she wanted. "The King could throw you all in jail, for this! Kill you for this matter!" The villagers huddled together, Melusine's powerful words blocking them of speech. "This is his daughter! The Princess!" Lilith smiled at Melsuine. She hoped they would listen to Melusine's words. To set her free, into the arms of her crying father. But that was not true. It was her fate- to die for her falling kingdom.

|\$