The Man Melusine Feared

Melusine stared at Penate as he approached the king. She hadn't seen him in years, widening her curiosity. The court fell into unbearable silence. Watching his every move, she slithered behind the chairs, egger to catch a glimpse of what this man had become. Penate lowered his pacing, brushing the creases out of his pale white tunic. He cackled, bowing at the feet of the King.

"King Cernanous," he said proudly, winking his prickly green eyes. "I am very hounered to be your daughter's rescuer." He smiled, like a sly snake. The Queen, like Melusine, was questioning his presence. She shuffled in her throne, biting her rosy lips. She knew her daughter had to be saved soon, she just didn't partially like Penate.

"Excuse, me, Penate," The queen asked quietly. Everyone looked shocked. The Queen would barely speak. She was shy; the polar opposite to her husband. "I would like to send someone to go with Penate." His jaw dropped. He was going so smoothly, his words like a freshly cut stone. The Queen hunched her shoulders. He adjusted her golden crown, taking a deep breath. She wouldn't let her daughter run off with some stranger, even if it was to save her life. She needed someone to go with him. Someone she trusted.

"I order that Melusine, the leader of the seventh court, will attend Penate in this quest." Melsuine struck frozen. She had wanted to rescue Lilith, but not with this pig. She worked alone. Somehow, she knew this wasn't an option. It was the only way she could retrieve Lilith. She could find a way to get rid of Penate; the journey would be long. She was well trained, and could easily loose anyone she didn't want around. Slowly, Melusine stumbled in front of the King. She strode like a gazelle; long and proud. She didn't want him to sense her fear. Her heavy leather boots slid across the perfectly clean marble floors, and she placed her hands delicately on her waist. She was trying her hardest to make a good impression. She wanted Penate to think that she had gained power, which she had, and build fear inside his senseless soul.

"I would be honoured to rescue Lilith." A knight in the audience snorted, immediately scolded by his colleague. Her confidence was unbearable. It was almost flattering, like a rare source of unbeatable power. Penate bowled down laughing.

"Please!" He cried, falling to the floor with laughter. "You are sending this woman with me!" Melusine stood glued to the floor. She stared at him, eyeing him off like a hawk. She found it hard to believe that he didn't recognise her. All those years spent together. "I will not allow this!" Penate continued complaining, making quite a fuss. How dare he laughed at her. Melusine, leader of the seventh court. No one had every dared to laugh at her before. Could he be so stupid to scold her? The King's only female knight? Agitated, Melusine reached for her belt, revelling a hand crafted wooden bow. It was the first weapon she had. The one she had used to train at Yentra, the leading academy in the whole of Gurious. She pulled the string violently. She wouldn't kill him. Not yet.

An arrow shot through the air, just as she had planned, pinning Penates' clothes to a corner of the place wall.

"Don't underestimate me." She whispered, sending spikes down his spine. He started surprisingly, gasping for air.

"Melusine? Is that really you?" Had it taken him that long to realise who she was? She had become more powerful than him, and the though made him shiver.