The Letter

Melusine ran her fingers along the jagged seal on the letter. Could it really be Dijins? She gulped. Fear began to swallow her body. Had Dijin taken Wayland?

Melusine prised her fingers under the seal, ripping it open. She had to see what was inside. Her hands reached inside, searching for what it held. Out the envelope slid a smooth, creamy coloured letter. Inscribed in the front were a few symbols Melusine couldn't understand. She knew many languages, but had never studied Dijin's inscriptions.

Carefully unfolding it, she began to read. Her heart sank. Wayland had been killed. Dijin had killed him. The anger built up inside her, boiling until it became unbearable. How would they rescue Lilith now? Melusine was sure it was all a part of his plan. Dijin knew they would come for Lilith, and would seek Wayland for guidance. With a gloomy stare, Melusine joined Penate by the fire. Various thoughts ran through her head. Would they be able to reach Lilith?

Penate glared at Melusine. He frowned. "Are you alright?" He reached to brush Melusine on the cheek, but she quickly hovered from his reach. She took a deep breath.

"Dijin has killed Wayland."

Penate glared at Melusine, his eye's turning dense and heavy.

"How are we going to reach Lilith now?" Melusine clenched her teeth. "We're going to have to travel on our own."

"But we don't even have a guide." Penate bit his lip. Reaching Dijin's layer would be a difficult task.

"We will find a way."

Penate eventually gave in. Melusine bundled up the letter, and wiped the blood clean from her dagger.

"We better go." She explained, already making her way towards the dusty streets. Outside, sharp drops of rain ran from the sky. Melusine draped her cloak further over her head. She didn't want to be noticed. Not in this town, anyway.

Penate stumbled through the doorway of Wayland's house. He brushed the dust off his golden laced tunic, and quivered at the sight of the rain.

Penate smirked. "Why does it always have to rain?"

Melusine rolled her eyes. "Let's just go. It will stop in a minute."

With that, Melusine rushed out of the alley and slithered into the bustling crowd that were marching through the streets.