The Discovery

By the time Melusine had reached the base of the castle, night was beginning to stir, and Penate remained far behind. Like a cat, she creeped behind the great walls of the structure; without a thought out plan, they would wouldn't even make it into the halls; and where they were going was far more complicated.

Melusine paced, Penate nowhere to be seen, towards the entrance to the slave quarters. Hidden, with an easy access to the centre halls, would allow her safe access.

Rusted trash cans, torn notes and long forgotten scraps surrounded the entrance. Enclosed by a shady wall, the slave quarters appeared rather hidden.

"Penate!" Melusine whispered under her breath. He stumbled among the dirty cobble, scrunching his nose and refrained from breathing.

"The King better pay me for this. And don't even think I will be accompanying you in the realms!"

Melusine held her finger to her lips. Penate's constant complaining was beginning to get on her nerves, yet knowing she was so close to her enemy's layer, remained calm. And, after much dispute, snaked their way deeper down the dark alley, leading directly to the door of which Dijin's plentiful maids, servants and slaves, would empty his unwanted. Judging by the horrific stench, Melusine concluded more than just rubbish was dumped among these rusty cans, as a thick red steam evaporated from the piles of junk while it spilled, like a wave, from the rim. Penate held his nose once more and, his face pale, jumped as the handle of the single door, their only way to enter, began to shake.

"Melusine!" Penate gaped, his face white as a sheet. Melusine, acting quick, yanked his sleeve and heaved him towards the nearest bin. The handle began to turn, and creaked loudly as it opened. With a large thump, a young girl, no older than seventeen, fell on the cobble floor. Her hazel brown hair fell loose among her shoulders, and her flat, bare belly and breasts were highly exposed among her revealing gold clothing. As she crumpled deep towards the floor, her countless number of golden bracelets and neck rings scraping the floor, began to cry salty tears. 

"I hate him!" She screamed, knocking over numerous trash cans with a single kick of her leg. Her    pale face trickled with her detailed makeup as it trickled down towards the floor. With one more kick, she fell back towards the floor, before a fresh round of tears began to fall. 

Melusine frowned deeply at the young girl, as she smashed her head among the pavement. Though she new nothing of this girl or origin, wasn't going to let her kill herself with the power of her tantrum. Penate, on the other side to Melusine, lay speechless, as the most flawless woman he set his eyes on attempt to end her life. 

Melusine retreated from the back of the trash can, and approached the back of the young girl who, after much banging, had a severely bleeding head. Being not great at comforting, he heaved her off her pale feat and forced the seeping head from the cobble.

"What are you doing!" Melusine snapped, as she held the young girl straight.

"Stop it! Leave me. I can't live anymore," She screamed deeply, at the top of her lungs, before falling to a heap in Melusine's arms. Like a bird among its nest, she held the weak child in a tender embrace, while Penate attempted to fight of his tears. "It's Dijin!" She pointed towards her flat belly with a pale finger. 

"Dijin? How do you know him?" Penate added, almost in a whisper.

"She came from the castle, captain obvious." Melusine, with her spare leg, hit Penate's thigh. The  woman, tucked beneath Melusine's arms, began to stand and pull herself together. With a deep breath and wave of her hand, she tapped her belly once more.

"This. Dijin. His..." She stuttered, gaging. "child!" 

Penate shock his head at the woman's mistake. Why would she allow that? With a curious mind, Penate began to question. "How are you connected to Dijin?"

She took a deep breath once more, than opened her mouth to explain. "I am Kalinya. My family; my people, were stolen from the depths of Illamium. And I, among all, was chosen as  his slave." Kalinya began to cry once more. "I can't go back!"

Melusine frowned at the distressed child, and turned her head towards the castle where Lilith lay beyond. After much confusion, she concluded that Kalinya would be able to continue with Penate and herself, with something to repay their favours. 

"If you get us in the castle, and cooperate during the rescue of Lilith, Beltane's latest sacrifice, we will not only take you with us, yet will provide you with support back in Beltane." Melusine believed the exchange was quite fair, considering the high population in Beltane. Considering their situation, she would do anything to improve their chances of rescuing Lilith. 

"Please! Anything to get me out!" Kalinya tugged at Melusine's cloak, while drying her eyes and winking at the admiring Penate.

"We have a deal."