Dance

The wind blowed louder, sweeping the dust to form an intricate cloud. Hanging over Dijin's castle, it acted almost like a shield; protecting it from who, or what, wanted to enter.

Melusine squinted her eyes. His castle lay in the middle of the desert like a glimmer of light. Thick branches of ivy snaked through the cracked bricks, the piercing thorns gleaming in the afternoon light.

"Is this it?" Penate complained, his eyes narrowing. The oversized castle towered high, the lean, grey pillars soaring way beyond view.

Melusine frowned. "Keep quiet. We need to find a way in."

There were three main entrances to the castle. One was placed by the south wing, guarded by thoroughly trained guards. The other two remained rather hidden, crammed between the gardens. Melusine had made sure she knew the exact positions to all the exits. She understood where they stood, and how they could uncover where they were from anywhere in the castle. But she had no intention to use them. That's exactly what the guards would expect.

Melusine took a deep breath. If she failed to get in, or was caught, Lilith would die, then would they.

Penate scanned the horizon, watching as Melusine traced her finger along the outlines of the castle.

She smirked. "I know how we are going to get in."

Her plan was risky, but if it went as she had expected, they would reach Lilith and get out of there, without getting caught.

Penate, smirked, revealing his crystal white teeth. "Don't get us killed." He placed his tanned hands on his waist. "Judging by the blank look on your face, it seems as if you will."

Melusine clenched her teeth, fiddling with the pommel of her dagger. Would he ever shut up?

From the toothed rock they were kneeling behind, Melusine could barely make out the guards positioned around the neck of the castle. In an uncurled line, they each held a silver lined bow, encrusted with the intricate symbols of Dijin. They wavered their well-made weapons along the horizon, scanning the distance. Melusine shuffled further behind the rock. Could they see her?

The heavily built guards lead into a march, brawling momentary sounding words she couldn't quite make out. In descending order, they realigned, falling neatly back into their original position. Melusine turned her stare towards them. What on earth were they doing? It was like a dance, neat and proclaimed. Very unusual, something Melusine, or Penate, had never distinguished before.

The sun wavered in the distance, cascading towards the peak of the horizon. They would have to act shortly. As soon as the light faded, Melusine would lead Penate towards the base of the castle, and enter through one of the palace's least occupied skylight. She bit her lip. One wrong move, just one, could get her killed.