Lilith and Penate

The court was wild in frustration. The king sat silently in this throne, watching as his fellow knights agreed about who would rescue his daughter. They knew that her saviour would be renowned by the King- showered in riches. Melusine didn't get it. To her, it was a bunch of grown men, all arguing for what they wanted. She knew that some of them wanted more than money. They wanted Lilith. Pretty, sweet Lilith. She was gorgeous. Her deep, green eyes attracted anyone that dared to look. Perfect complexion. Golden hair. It was no question why all the men wanted to be her rescuer.

"Enough!" the King shouted loudly, rising from his golden throne. "I need one knight to rescue Lilith." The whole court listened carefully. "And he, the one I choose, will be granted my permission to Marry my one and only daughter; Lilith." Meluisne shook her head in disbelief. Self-scented king. Lilith, being only fifteen, was far too young to be married. She had been around her ever since she was born. She basically raised her, and they were as close as sisters.

"This should not be allowed!" Melusine shouted. The King shook his head. Melusine and her antics.

"And why is this, Melsuine?" His Queen looked shyly at Melsuine. Nodding her head, she gestured Melusine to continue.

"She is only fifteen. You don't know these men like I do. God knows what they'll do to her! She'll be pregnant in the first hour!" The king busted out laughing, banging the table.

"Please! Lilith? Pregnant!" He beaconed the rest of the court to join in the laughter. Jealously and anger swept across Melusine's face. A window flew open, the cool air prickling against her neck. How dare they laugh. It was one thing to disagree, but to laugh; that was a mistake.

"You self-centred snob!" She charged towards the King, ploughing through the knights that dared to stand in her way. The bright afternoon sun shone through the place windows. Crows cackled outside, the eerie sound lurking through the gardens. "You stupid King!" She violently grabbed his neck, shoving him against a wall. She felt everyone watching. Staring at the mistake she was making.

"Melusine." The queen patted her shoulder. "Please dear, is this necessary?" She was right. It would not make a difference. She undid her braid, letting her loose hair flow violently through the air. She reached for her sword. The person that was standing in front of her made her look away in disgust. Penate. A tall, handsome looking man stood at the doorway of the place. He ran his hand through his flowing brown hair, winking at the sight of her. She remembered this man. The strange creature that had killed her family. This horror of a man had vanished only a few years ago. She had forced him to leave- by giving him the only thing he wanted. Eyeing him like a hawk, Melsuine crouched behind her chair. Her breath fell up and down. How she hated him. How she wanted him dead. It took all the strength she had to not lunge towards Penate with her sword. Her only motivation was Lilith. If she killed him, the King would be sure to banish her from the court for good. All she wanted was to save Lilith. Her whole body quivered, as he made his way towards the proud King.

"Luckily, Penate, my old friend, was willing to rescue my daughter." The whole court broke into cheer. Melusine didn't. She would never cower to this man. The King beckoned her to clap, but she just stared down at the floor. Penate strode through the court, waving as if he was as important as the King. If Melsuine was correct, which she most commonly was, this man would marry Lilith. He would act all heroic, only to steal the hand of the King's most prized possession; his daughter.