The Brawl

The streets of Equanixe were far rougher than Melusine had imagined. She had heard tales of the beautiful city, and the ancient, hand crafted buildings that lay in the heart. In truth, the streets and buildings were rather rundown, littered with rats and many people.

From the dock, Melusine instantly spotted the great castle that held Lilith and the children of the village. Dijin was well known around this part of town, despite the fact he was destroying many cities, including Equanixe.

"Melusine, do you even know where we're going?" Penate frowned, noticing the profound look on her face. She clicked her tongue.

"Of course I do. Would I drag us out here if I didn't know where to go?"

Penate shrugged, taking a staggering breath.

They continued to walk, Penate screwing his nose at the horrible smells emitting from the streets. Meusine tried not to look at the brawling fights that were taking place in nearly every shop. What had Equanixe become? Drunk men watched her with malignant eyes. She looked vulnerable in the low light and musty air. Penate shuffled as he followed Melusine into an enclosed ally. Equanixe was full of them, but this one felt particularly unwelcoming.

"Oh, Melusine, what are we doing now?" Penate staggered, his deep, green eyes reflecting off the light. Melusine smiled slowly.

"You don't expect us to get up there on our own, do we?"

The cool air brushed against her skin, the wind tearing apart her neatly woven braid. She stopped suddenly, staring at a slightly splintered wooden door. Her fingers frozen, Melusine banged on the door. If this man couldn't take them to Dijin's layer, no one could. The villagers were very much aware of the torture Dijin gave, and all the children he was mysteriously taking.

She knocked again. Why wouldn't he answer? The street lights flickered, causing the light to become hazy in the midnight air.

"Melusine," Penate whispered, reaching for his hand carved sword. "I don't think we're alone."

Melusine turned her gaze to the narrow entrance of the alley. She grabbed her dagger, her stare sharp and unwelcoming. Four men, no older than thirty, snaked their way towards them, cheap daggers in their hands. Melusine chuckled. How could they attack them with weapons like that?

"Hello, little lady." One whispered, his snake like eyes staring through Meluisne's eyes. He flickered he sword, gesturing his men to surround her. She flinched slightly, raising her dagger.

"What do you want?" She asked aggressively, watching as Penate rushed behind Meluisne. She wouldn't let them die like this. Not without Lilith. The rage hit Melusine like a dagger to the heart. The pain Penate had caused her. The loss of Annwin's life. Angry and full of adrenaline, she gave no warning as she charged towards them. The leader of the gang blocked her dagger with a fling of his sword. She kneed him in the gut in return, causing him to crumble to the ground. He groaned, clenching his teeth. With a jab of her dagger, she quickly ended his life, the sharp end colliding with the side of his head.

Penate attacked another gang member, his elbow jabbing into his temple. Melusine wiped the sweat from her forehead. Fighting was intense, and to be honest, she was a bit rusty. It had been months since she had taken part in a brawl like this.

Cold and unguarded, a gang member held a knife to her head. She had been unfocused. It would be horrible to end her life like this. It couldn't end here.

"Naughty little bugger," He whispered, his accent unlike anything she had heard before. He continued to press the dagger further into her skull. Blood dripped down her face, seeping through the dark fabric of her cloak. She bit her lip. The man laughed, his voice thick and rusty. "Say goodbye, little lady."