Light

It wasn't long before Melusine awoke, the gleaming morning light seeping through the cracks of the deck above. She rubbed her eyes, her dark clothes drenched in sea water. Penate continued to snore loudly, tossing and turning in every direction.

"Penate!" Melusine screamed, kicking his sleepy leg with her tough leather boot. He jerked awake, thick sweat dripping down his forehead.

"Please, Melusine. Why did you wake me?" He whispered under his breath, his voice dense and thick. She frowned slowly.

"Can't you see? The ship has arrived." Her eyes rolled as she pointed to the top of the deck. It amazed her how he couldn't notice that the ship was no longer moving and rocking about.

Penate raised from the floor, staring blindly at the teared apart store-room. Water flooded the floor, causing the barrels and planks of wood to float slowly around the room. She hoped the crew wouldn't notice how destroyed it had become. "Penate, we really have to go." Melusine whispered, straightening up her midnight black cloak. He sighed, running his hand through his messy hair.

"Fine. But as soon as we get out I am changing my clothes." She rolled her eyes. How arrogant could he be?

They made their way towards the exits, their boots flooded with water and strands of loose seaweed. Penate flinched as a slice of slimy fabric brushed against his tanned leg.

"Can't we just exit already?" The long night and amount of objects floating in the water made him uneasy.

"Penate, if we exit now, we would be found." Penate clearly had no concept that this was a possibility. All those months of living in luxury had proved a disadvantage. Melusine, on the other hand, was used to unfitting missions like this. And unlike Penate, she wasn't afraid to kill.

Peering out of the exit, Melusine watched as the crew spilled out of the ship, pileing into the dirty streets that lay in view. They would have to wait. The crew continued to exit, some dragging large bails and supplies. They would have to hurry. It wouldn't be long before someone would gather the materials from the store room. Melusine grabbed Penate's heavily built arm, leading him through the exit.

"We must go now."

Melusine preyed the door wouldn't creak as she prised it open. A single sound could give them away. She yanked his arm harder, forcing him out of the stuffy room and onto the freshly cleaned deck. The cool wind prickled down her neck, running gently through her hair. What she would have done for this feeling the night before.

Penate ruffled his hair, disgusted at the state he had put himself in. Gesturing him to follow, Melusine swiftly made her way across the deck. She could feel the eyes of the crew watching her every move. It was impossible not to stare. Her long, black cloak and expensive weapons stood out against the sailor's creamy tunics and metallic swords. She was very used to this. It was rather unusual, even in Baltane, to spy someone with such unique features. Penate clenched his teeth as they approached the dusty streets.

"Melusine, we shouldn't go in there." His face was swept with fear. But she didn't listen.