Death

The crisp air ran through the trees, seeping through the impoverished leaves. The sun had compressed to nothing more than a stroke of colour on the bland evening sky. Melusine shivered. In one minute, maybe two, they would ignite their aim. Bring it to life. Fear swept through her shaken body. Melusine needed to reach Lilith.

A few meters in the distance, Dijin's great castle stood proudly along the musky evening sky. The turrets shot deep into the sky, piercing the darkened clouds. Fiddling with her braid, Melusine wrapped her lean fingers tightly around Penates' wrist. It was time to charge.

The night air swept away the crisp and pristine tingle of the day, and placed a seamless vale over the golden sun.

The back of Melusine's neck tickled. Above her, stood the cruellest leader the world had ever seen. And she was about to face it.

"Melusine," Penate cried, his deep, sea blue eyes sparkling in the moonlight. "I just wanted to say, that if we die today..." He paused for a second, placing a strand of loose hair behind his ears. "That I'm sorry, and that I would never, ever, mean to hurt you or your family." He nervously fiddled with his fingers, and his breath tightened.

The look he gave her was unmissable. A silent stare that contained the power to rid the world of it's grief. The sorrow; It seemed that there daring rescue had vanished, and that Lilith was by their side.

Melusine battered her porcelain eyes. She sat rather indomitably in the unbearably loud silence. Penate had never talked about her like this, and to be honest, she didn't know if she liked it.

"I just wanted to say, that whatever happens, I will be here." He sounded unsure, yet content. Melusine' eyes widened. She was utterly speechless.

Penate leaned towards her, but abruptly came to a stop. He clenched his hands hard, then began his walk towards the rocky terrain.

"I'm sorry," Was his only response. A single sentence to make up for his one thousand words.

Melusine tried her hardest to shake off the odd encounter with Penate. It had made her feel uncomfortable, almost curious, but she would have to shake it off. No time for that sloppy wonder. It wasn't long before she was snapped back into reality, and into the dark future that lay ahead.

"When I say go" Melusine whispers under her breath, "We run."

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

It wasn't long before Melusine murmured the commands under her breath.

"One," She paused, assessing the evening sky. "Two," She cut of what she was saying, allowing a bubble of suspense to fill the wide ranged desert. The air continued to grow colder, which made the wait seem even longer. When she was ready; when the time was finally right, she called the fatal word. "Three."

It took only a few seconds for them both to react. Melusine kept low, while Penate was rather free ranged. The impossibly small grains of sand filled her uncovered hands, and clung desperately to her sun kissed hair. They were doing it. Her and Penate, and to be honest, neither of them new the outcome.

Penate glared at the great castle. He was leaning towards the arch of the palm tree, in which bared a satisfactory amount of fruit. He had paused, and struck still in the middle of the rampage.

His eyes stuck to Melusine's as she weaved her way towards many of the other plant life, in which were rather dead, to reach the foot of the castle. Unlike Penate, she was desperate. Strongly willed. Even though the blasting heat smothered her, and the piercing sand compacted with her fair skin, she wouldn't stop. Oh no; not without Lilith.