Penate and Melusine

"Melusine?" Penate murmured into his chest. He removed the arrow from his creamy tunic, snapping it in two. Melusine stood still as if she couldn't move. Her bones ached, her stomach quenching at the sight of him. She forgot how handsome he was. Deep, green eyes; fair brown hair. This was just looks, Melsuine told herself. It didn't matter. He killed her sister, and she wanted revenge.

"Well. Look what my Mellie has become."

She flinched.

"Don't call me that." Penate had called her this when they were younger. He though it sounded strong; cute. A senseless little joke. He chuckled.

"Grumpy as always."

Melusine frowned. It took all her will not to fire another arrow, only aiming somewhere more severe. Before she knew what she was doing, Melusine charged towards him. He stiffened, forcing her muscular hand off his neck.

"Please. Like that will make a difference."

She lowered her hand, allowing it to run across the smooth string of her bow. Every moment she spent next to him brought back memories. Memories she would rather keep hidden. The King, watching their every move, stood up from his throne.

"Please!" He yelled, breaking between them. "Just stop!"

Embarrassed, Melusine stood up straight. How could she be so silly to fight in front of the King? Penate just crossed his arms, standing arrogantly on the polished floors. It was clear he didn't care about the King, or Melusine, for that matter. "You will have to work together! I need you to save my daughter." The King's face was dripping with sweat. Melusine leaned over, kicking Penate hard enough to make him whimper.

"Don't think I will play nice."

The King rolled his eyes. "Melusine, Please! I will have to remove you from this quest, if you continue."

She sighed. Why had the King picked him? There were hundreds of other men willing to take his position. She began pacing, letting her feet take her where-ever they wanted. Perhaps she could lose him during the journey. She would try, but understood that Penate could be as dangerous as her. He had been the one to train her. He knew all the tricks she played. He'd given her everything, then taken it all away. He took her sister's life. The only person she had left in her life that really cared. This sat uncomfortably down Melusine's spine. She was desperate to let it out, be new well enough that she should wait.

"When do we leave?" She asked proudly, staring at the king with her piercing blue eyes. Penate snaughted.

"The ship will be arriving at noon."

Melusine nodded. She knew the way off by heart, and had traced the map many times. It was her duty. As a leader, she had to know all the maps from the east Equanixe. She hated Penate, and knew the journey was going to be harder than it seemed.