Equanixe

Large, white-winged sea-gulls flew around the port, squeaking loudly. Melusine strode around the market, Penate strolling behind. Hundreds of stalls were placed by the dock, filed with fresh fish and odd trinkets. Pulling her golden watch from her pocket, she stared at the sea, eyeing off a boat in the distance.

"It should be here by now." She cried impatiently. Penate rolled his eyes, pointing as the boat sails closer to the port.

"Just wait, Melusine. Always impatient, aren't you?"

Melusine shrugged her shoulders, stomping on his feet, hard. He yelped, cursing under his breath.

She made her way towards one of the stalls, keeping her eye on the sea. She didn't want to miss the boat, especially since she was sent by the King.

"Would you like to buy one, mam?" An old shop keeper asked, tapping his fingers up and down on the table. Melusine ran her hand over the layout of fancy jewellery and odd shaped sea shells. She simply nodded her head at the shop assistant, rushing quickly to where Penate was standing. The ship was should be here by now.

Penate lay slanted, eyeing off a pair of young girls that were selling perfume.

"Penate! You were meant to be watching the port!" She rushed off towards the jetty, no caring if Penate followed or not. How could he be so stupid to not watch the boat? They could have missed it, if she didn't arrive when she did. Her feet slammed against the sandy terrain, eyes set on the ship that had pulled into the harbor. She hoped Penate wasn't following; It would be a great way to lose him, and continue the quest on her own. Turning her head, Melusine watched as Penate rushed behind her, pushing past a crowd of people.

"Melusine, wait!" he yelled, stopping to take a breath. She just shook her head, and kept on running. Her heart pounded, her neat braid flying through the air. She stopped suddenly, letting the soft sand spill over her leather shoes. Several men were attending to the ship, tightening the sails and sweeping the wooden deck. Thank god. She hadn't missed it. Penate threw himself towards he, gripping to her skinny waist.

"Get off me!" Melusine elbowed him in the stomach, causing him to crumble to the ground. She clenched her sword, approaching the men that were set around the ship. Penate gave her a half frown, gesturing her to stop.

"I'm sorry ma'am. You can pass this point." Melusine stood taller. The frail little worker shoved her stomach. Now that was a mistake. She shoved him back, her hand causing bright red marks on his arm.

"I'd rather you don't touch me." She repeated, towering over him. Compared to her, this little sailor was fairly small. Soft strokes of black hair sprouted from his tan head, his white tunic was covered in dirt and grime from the ship. "I will get on that boat," she repeated. Crisp, salty air tickled Melusine's spine. The man simply shrugged, carrying on with his work. Penate watched from the further end of the court, shaking her head at her as she continued to bribe the sailor. Not much had changed about her. She had always been stubborn. The leader.

Melusine crossed her arms. She was getting angry now. Grabbing the man's bony little throat, she whispered into his ear. "You better let us past. Or I will take something from you that you can never get back."

He shivered. Many other workers snaked through the ship. They were everywhere; on the deck, in the cabins and on the masts. It would be hard to sneak on the ship. But it was a challenge; one Melusine was willing to face. She gripped his throat harder. "Now take me."

Anxiously, the frail little man led Melusine and Penate through the deck on the ship. She watched as the sailors prepared to leave the dock. They scurried around like mice, trying their hardest to get everything done. A few stared at her, mouths gaped open. She was used to people noticing her. Penate winked at a female worker as they passed, who gratefully smiled in return.

She knew she could be punished for forcing her way in; but she could take any of these skinny little sailors with a single blow of her knife. The frail man stopped walking.

"Here. You are in." He looked down at the floor, quickly scurrying back down to the deck. The wind blew through Melusine's hair, the sun setting in the distance. It would be dark soon, and they would have to find a place to hide. Penate eyed her off anxiously. At how strong she had become. He used to be the one training her; the one getting her in and out of trouble. It seemed now that it was the other way around.

Melusine circled the polished deck. There would have to be somewhere to hide. Without that little sailor, they were not welcome on this ship. She was meant to take another one; number 7, but she knew this one would travel faster. It wouldn't be a matter of time before Lilith would be gone.

The deck was quite empty. Bundles of rope lay coiled, surrounded by old buckets, most likely used for cleaning. It wouldn't be long before they were caught.

"Melusine, let's face it; we've failed." Penate cried, sweat dripping for his tanned face. How could he say this? It was only a few hours ago that he had been eager to come alone. She had almost forgot how lazy he was. Sighing, she continued to look around. There had to be somewhere sturdy. Yelling broke out from the lower deck. Melusine peered over the rails, staring as a tall, muscular man, no older than twenty, stood proudly on the deck below, scolding his crew.

"How could you be so stupid as to let them on the ship!" He yelled, his stare as sharp as a blade. The crew member that had helped them before kneeled cowardly, tears seeping from his eyes. "We were meant to leave an hour ago! But now, since to your mess up, we are behind schedule!"

Melusine smiled. She enjoyed seeing people get angry. That is, if they weren't angry at her.

"Melusine! Please, stay focused."

She snapped out of her dreamy state. How could she be so silly? Dark clouds lay in the murky sky. Rain. Great; just what they needed. The captain was still yelling. He was sending of his crew to find them. They had to hurry. It was unusual for her to be this slow. Rushing, she began untying rope, tying it to her bow.

"What are you doing!" Penate yelled, eyeing her in confusion. "We don't have time!"

She knew they didn't have time; and that she was trying to fix that. Sharp drops of rain pelted down, causing the deck to become slippery. Melsuine searched vigorously, sorting through the piles of rope. Where had Penate gone? She wasn't sure where he was. He could be down with the captain; he was that dumb.

"Melusine! I've found the basement!"

She sighed. Penate. Always lying.

"What is it now, Penate," She stopped halfway through speech. Penate, as promised, was holding open the door to the basement, smiling brightly. "Told you so." He laughed sympathetically.

She rolled her eyes. Penate. Small, child-like Penate.