17. Maybe the Smartest Thing You've Done All Day

═════════════════ ⛤☙⚸⚖☍☥☍⚖⚸☙⛤ ════════════════

Possibly having a concussion made Gymnastics almost impossible. Her coordination was off and she missed the bars twice and the vault once. It was enough for the rest of her club to get her to sit down. One of the girls with first-aid training shone a light into her eyes, informing her that her pupils were dilating at different times. She then proceeded to, as gently as possible, Akane assumed, run her hands over the back of Akane's head. Akane hissed and the girl frowned. There was a bump. Fuck everything. Akane told the rest of the club she was leaving early and no one opposed it. Whether it was because she was a major hard-ass and they wanted a break, or simply because they cared, Akane didn't know.

She sighed, walking down the hall. Most clubs didn't go as late as sport clubs and most of the sport clubs practiced outside. That left the hallways and classroom's mostly empty. It reminded her of last night, which reminded her of her concussion. She stopped outside the bathroom, twisted curiosity leading her inside.

The blood had been cleaned up, but Akane could still see the rust-like colour in between the tiles of the wall behind the sinks. She sighed, again, looking at her reflection in the mirror. Sure, she had dreamt her entire life of coming face to face with a ghost, but this was a bit much, wasn't it? Haunted objects owned by more than one person in her school. It was crazy.

She pulled out her painkillers and dry swallowed more than two, staring into her own eyes. Maybe it was the concussion, but as she stared longer, her reflection seemed to warp, her skin becoming darker, some sort of headpiece appearing on her head. She pulled back quickly, shaking her head.

She was not about to lose it like a bad horror-trope.

She left the bathroom quickly, almost jogging down the hallway, toward her locker.

Ryou was there, but he seemed distracted. Akane furrowed her brows together, resolve taking over. She marched over to her locker, pulled off her inside shoes and pulled on her outside ones, ignoring Ryou as he called out to her, taking off in a run as she left.

═════════════════ ⛤☙⚸⚖☍☥☍⚖⚸☙⛤ ════════════════