Chapter 2: Strange Place, Strange Woman

Steve's eyes slowly open. He was warm, dry and cosy, with dust motes dancing in the dim morning light. He could hear birds chirping slightly above the usual hectic city noises of sirens, cars and footsteps. The bed didn't smell familiar, but it was nice and comforting. Feminine, although the stuffed toys gave that away. Without stirring he tries to get a grasp of his surroundings. Thinking what company does he have, are they in the room, was he in trouble and capable of fighting his way out. His head throbs badly, and there was a sharp sting across his cheek but otherwise he was sure he felt fine. He slowly turns his head, peeking through his lashes, muscle tense and ready to strike. Through his blurry vision he spotted a large round circle propped against a cupboard to his right, next to which were his boots. Thank heavens he still has that he thought. It was then that he realised he was naked, apart from his boxers. He didn't recall getting undressed which was unnerving to say the least.

*Clink* *CruNch CrunCh CrUncH* Steve jumps at the noise suddenly at the end of his bed, "Ahh!" He gasps in surprise. "Mowning!" Harley chirps through a huge mouthful of cereal, "Youwansom? Its luwkychawms." She asks, eyes sparkling and slightly squinting, betraying the fact she was smiling behind her raised hand, covering her mouthful. She was sat cross legged on the armchair, pushed to the foot of the bed, blanket crumpled around her waist, with a bowl heaped full of what appeared to be a kind of cereal. "If you're hungry, I can pour ya some, though I might have eaten all the marshmallow bits... My bad... The rests still good though!" She bubbles excitedly.

Steve flips over, hiding his face in the heap of pillows, his head promptly spinning. The pillow he was hiding under was softly lifted, and this strange woman's face appeared next to his. "Whatsa matter buddy? Ya don't like lucky charms?"
"Errr, no ma'am.. it's just.. well.. you're only in your.. undergarments." He stammers, grateful he could hide his blushing in the pillows. "Oh yeaahh!" The woman giggles, "My clothes got soaked last night, my only clothes that is, and yours too, you're pretty hard to move ya know. What were you doing in an alleyway anyway? I cleaned up your cuts this morning, I'm sure you'll live. After I resuscitated you by the way. Do you remember that? I hope you don't! Wow, I forgot how much sugar was in this stuff! The Arkham diet's more plain than army basics, I feed my babies better than that. My names Harley by the way, what's yours?" Steve's head was spinning, and he felt a bit queasy. This fast talking woman wasn't helping either, but at least she seems friendly, "Steve... Steve Rogers." He groans, the mental effort draining him. "If I may ask, what's your full name, Miss Harley?" He just about mumbles audibly through the pillow, it would be good to be polite to the woman who had dragged him in off the streets. 'Well, Steeeve." Harley drawls in a somewhat childishly mocking tone, as she lay belly down on the floor, watching him curiously. Cupping her face in her hands, her legs swaying back and forth in the air daintily, "If ya gonna be all technical about it, I'm Dr. Harleen Quinzel. But please, call me Harley, the rest of all that's a bit too serious for my liking."
"Ok, Miss Quinzel."
"Quinn."
"Okaay, Miss Quinn."
"Harley!" Steve turns his head ever so slightly to scowl at this companion, making sure to maintain eye contact lest his eyes wander over any of her ample exposed curv...Steve! Get your head in the game. You're a gentleman for christ's sake, even if this woman clearly got no qualms strutting around in naught, that doesn't make it ok to look he argues in head with himself, "Miss Quinn, please put on some clothes." He sighs exasperated, "And please pass me mine as well." He asks before hiding back in the pillow, listening to the padding footsteps across the room, as Miss Quinn hummed some irregular tune, pausing as the sound of a zip went up, before it starts again, the padded footsteps closing the gap across the room. He felt the slight pressure of his clothes being dumped on top of him and the sound of fabric rustling. He turns around, back onto his back and props himself up on his elbows before slowly opening his eyes. To his relief she was dressed, albeit the dress was a little shorter than might be considered decent, and its slight dampness made it cling to her body even more, but it was better by far than just her underwear. Miss Quinn was sat back on the floor cross legged, watching him expectantly, absentmindedly teasing apart a knot from one of her pigtails and grinning. "Umm.. I'd like to get dressed myself." Steve hinted. "Yep!"
"So could you, turn around, please? Miss Quinn?"
"It's Harley, and I promise I won't peek!" She giggles, covering her eyes with her fingers. Steve watches her with an eyebrow raised in scepticism, mentally counting down from 3..2..1. Harley peeks from between her fingers, only to be greeted by Steve, watching her disapprovingly with folded arms. "I wasn't born yesterday, Miss Quinn."
"Well, when were you born? Nineteeeeen...?" She trails off, waiting for him to finish the number. "A long time ago..Ok? Can I please get dressed in peace now?" Sensing this, Steve had had enough, Harley swivelled on the floor, "Party pooper.. no cake for you!" She calls over her shoulder, grinning as she notices the reflection of Steve's silhouette on his big metal disk thingy. She quietly hums to herself as she watches his toned shadow bend and stretch and curve whilst he dresses himself, twirling the end of her pigtails in her fingers, unable to hide the smile on her lips. After she heard his zipper rise up, she lay back on the floor, gazing at this now upside down man. "So, what do you want to eat?"
"To be honest ma'am, a simple cup of tea would suffice." He says perching on the edge of the armchair as he pulls his boots on. "Ahh.. well, that involves a spot of shopping then. I've only just moved back into the area so my cupboards have gone all Mother Hubbard I'm afraid. Are you up to a quick shop?" Truth be told he felt awful, but he didn't want her to struggle to and from the shops whilst he stays here, plus fresh air might help, and he could get a feel for his surroundings and figure out how to get back home, to Stark Tower or anywhere familiar at least, "Yes miss, I think a shopping trip will do me some good." Harley squeals happily, "Brilliant! Let's go!" She pulls on her boots, grabs his hand and pulls him out the door.