Chapter 12: Wayne Manor

It's been a few weeks now since Steve had saved Harley after being kidnapped. Now and then, he still thinks of the jack in the box and the meaning behind the message, I'll see you soon. He wrote down many notes surrounding the message, why the clown face? Why the joke? So many why's that are always in the back of his mind, but he has no idea what it all means.

Meanwhile upstairs Harley is sitting on the windowsill in the living room, watching bluebirds feed their young. She always wondered what it would be like to fly, but enjoys her time on the ground too much. Lost in thought, she didn't hear Steve knock on the door. He knocks again, and again, and again. Harley realises she is daydreaming when she hears her name, "Harley?!" She jumps off the windowsill and runs to the door, opening it, she notices Steve standing with his arms folded, "Hello, what can I do for you, Capt'n?" Steve starts to smile, "I just wanted to make sure you were alright, I haven't seen you for a little while." Harley looks him up and down, noticing how worried he looks, "I'm alright, I haven't been kidnapped again, if that's what ya wondering." Laughing as she opens the door further to let him in. He walks through the door and heads straight towards the open window. Closing it, he turns to face her, "It's freezing outside, you're going to catch a cold." Harley tilts her head and smiles, "You worried about me, Stevie?" Rolling his eyes, he smiles at her and heads towards the mattress. Sitting down, he waits for Harley to get comfy on the armchair next to him before he makes conversation.

Resting her head on her hands, she looks at Steve, "Hope you enjoy dressing up all fancy! I made you my plus one for Bruce Wayne's fundraiser this evening!" He looks up at her, surprised, but flattered, "Sounds like a fun evening." Smiling, she got up from the armchair, "Well I'm looking forward to our date tonight. You better bring me flowers and chocolates!" Laughing as she begins to open the front door, "Better start getting ready. It may only be three in the afternoon, but for a gal to look good, she needs as much time as she can get!" Steve takes the hint and walks towards the door, just before stepping out into the hallway, he leans closer to her and smiles, "You need no time at all, you already look beautiful." Harley pushes him out of her door but winks at him smiling as she closes it behind him.

It's quarter past seven in the evening and Steve is ready to head to Wayne Manor. He straightens his black bow tie for the finishing touch, looking at himself in the mirror, I don't look half bad he thought. Steve decided to wear a black tuxedo and a blue shirt to ensure that he looked the part. He looks at his watch, keeping an eye on the time, so they are not late. Grabbing the chocolates and flowers from the kitchen side, he heads towards the door.

Harley looks at two dresses lying on the bed, still deciding which one to wear. She carried on thinking which one would match with Steve's outfit. There was a sky blue dress, that clung to her curves and fell to the floor, it has a v neckline and showed off her feminine figure, with a gold belt around the waist, or a mint green dress, that clung to her curves and flared out at her waist and stopping at her knees, it shows off her legs and has a heart shaped neckline. She had already done her makeup and put her hair in a stylish bun, she started to add accessories to the dresses to help her make a decision. Adding dark blue high heels and a golden necklace with sapphires to the sky blue dress and lime green high heels and a silver necklace with emeralds to the mint green dress. Suddenly, there was a knock at the door, she dashed out of her room, wearing a robe to cover up her body. She swings the door open to see Steve standing with his hands behind his back. She notices the blue shirt he is wearing and instantly runs back into the bedroom.

Steve stands in the doorway, confused as she runs back to the bedroom and slams the door behind her. He walks in and waits patiently by the front door as she gets ready. Harley puts on the sky blue dress, as she slips on her high heels she opens the bedroom door to see Steve holding out a bunch of red and black roses and a box of chocolates. She smiles at the kind gesture, "Ya do know I was only jokin' about the flowers and chocolates right?" He smiles nervously at her as she takes them from his hands. "Thank you anyway Steve." She smirks at him before placing them down on the kitchen counter, she goes towards the window and picks a purple flower that is growing in the box outside. Handing it to him, she looks him up and down, "You look rather dashing!" Winking as she opens the front door. Steve holds the door open as she walks on through, smiling, "You look beautiful, like always." Harley continues to walk down the hallway, smiling as she goes.