Chapter 18: Vengeance

Steve is scouting out the city at night, keeping watch on the city streets, he's never known so much crime on so few streets. Walking along a rooftop he overhears shouting coming from an alleyway below. Looking over the edge, noticing a man wearing white chasing Zsasz, "You butchered them! I'll kill you!" He continues to run down the alley, cornering Zsasz, "I liberated them, every cut on my body is someone I liberated." Grabbing Zsasz and throwing him into a wall, "You killed them!" Again grabbing Zsasz and throwing him into an old car door cutting his arm, "No! It doesn't match! It doesn't MATCH!" He grabs a piece of broken glass from the door that is shaped like a knife, starting to shake, "Burning! Itching! Burning! Itching!" He lunges towards the man with the broken glass knife at the ready.

Drop kicking Zsasz into the wall behind, "I'll end you for what you done!" As he was just about to punch Zsasz square in the face, Steve jumps down between them both. Smacking Zsasz with his shield, knocking him to the floor unconscious, Steve then turns around grabbing the man's fist in time before he accidentally punches him in the face. Steve speaks through gritted teeth, "He is not worth it!" He lowers his fist. As he stands there, Steve notices he is wearing goggles that look like they have been painted white, a face that looks determined with defined features. A white hoodie where the hood is covering the top part of his face, but high enough to see green eyes staring directly at him in annoyance. As he looks down, Steve notices he was wearing hockey pants with white trainers, "You want justice for what he's done? Killing him isn't the answer." He walks away in annoyance, turning round pointing aggressively at Zsasz, "He needs to pay for what he's done! The victims need justice! They need vengeance!" Steve walks up to him and places his hand on his shoulder, "Don't let vengeance control you kid." Turning to face Steve, "Then what do you suggest then!" Steve walks across the street, "The authorities."

Steve walks to the other side of the street, calling the GCPD from a pay phone to come and collect Zsasz, as they wait he asks him, "So, what's your name kid?" The young man stands up from tying Zsasz arms together, "Uh.. Vengeance." He leans against the opposite wall not taking his eyes off Zsasz, making sure he doesn't try and escape before looking towards Steve, "What do they call you then? Flagman?" Steve rolls his eyes and smiles, "No, I'm Captain America." Vengeance starts to laugh, "Really?!" They both look to see blue and red flashing lights as the GCPD pull up, "Get him out of my sight!" He says as he walks off down the street, Steve nods at the cops and walks after him, "Hey kid, wait up!" Steve catches up to him, "Why did you stop me? That's what scum like him deserve!" Steve turns to face him grabbing his shoulder, "I know it may feel easy to do, but trust me, killing ain't easy and it's not justice!" They continue walking down the street, Vengeance kicking a bottle along the sidewalk.

They continue a few blocks exchanging conversation, "So, how long have you been doing the hero gig kid?" He stops, leaning against the wall, looking down at the concrete, "I'm no hero, just doing what needs to be done, some won't get their hands dirty, I will." Steve hears windows smashing in the distance, Vengeance notices slightly after. "Well, now's the time to start." Steve says before running in the direction or the noise, Vengeance just behind him.

They arrive at a restaurant. The front window is smashed and there are several gunmen holding staff and customers hostage. "We have to be careful about this. No one can get hurt. Including you." Steve explains after looking through the door. "I can handle myself!" He pushes past Steve before being stopped by his arm, "Don't be reckless! We'll do it together." He takes a step back folding his arms in annoyance. "What do you have in mind?" Steve takes him down an alleyway by the side of the building. "I'll go in through the front. I'll wait for you to go through the back. Get in position in the kitchen. We'll take them on two fronts." Vengeance walks down the alley to the back door, he turns with a smile, "Not bad for a flag." Steve sighs as he proceeds around the front of the building. He looks through the window, waiting for Vengeance to get into position. After a few seconds he notices him behind the counter. They nod at each other and Steve holds his fingers out counting down to one.

Steve bursts in through the door, throwing his shield knocking out two of the armed gunmen while proceeding to punch another out cold. Vengeance jumps over the counter, turning to grab one of the thugs and smashing his head into the counter. He turns again, waving the hostages toward the back of the restaurant. He turns to see the Captain in a fight with two thugs, kicking one into the wall and shield bashing another in the same move. He looks to his right and launches at the last thug, punching him repeatedly as he covers his face in a boxing like fashion. The fight ends with them standing above the unconscious thugs. Steve puts his shield on his arm and Vengeance twists his neck making a cracking noise, "We made a good team kid." Placing his hand on his shoulder "Hey, so we did." He walks towards the door, "You're a hero. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, kid." He opens the door and turns his head to look at Steve, "Thanks, see you around Mr America."

He was gone before Steve could say anymore. Turning towards the kitchen, seeing the staff hold each other and help the customers in shock. He walks to one of them asking if they have a phone. They point towards the desk in the corner, Steve sees an old-fashioned landline. Picking it up and dialling 911 once more, "GCPD, what's your emergency?" Steve turns to face the restaurant, all the thugs knocked out, "This is Captain America, I have another arrest tonight."