Chapter 20: Goodbye

Steve was walking up the stairway, it had been a long night, first he had taken down one of Falcone's largest drugs dens in the city, then not long after took down Killer Croc at the docks, handing him over to the GCPD, Approaching his apartment door with his key in his hand when he starts to hear shouting coming from upstairs in Harley's apartment, He wonders if everything is ok with her until *Smash* "Harley!" Steve runs up the staircase and charges through the door forcing it open and coming to holt in the living room. He looks towards the kitchen to see Harley holding a frying pan, in shock from the sight of him bursting in, "Steve?!" A man stood on the other side of the kitchen with green hair, a white face and a large red smile. He wore a purple suit with a bowtie. "And who's this guy then Harls hmmmm?" The green haired man said to Harley pointing towards Steve. "I think the better question is who you are Mr and what you're doing in Harley's apartment" Steve says firmly clenching his fist.

"What? You never heard of me? I am the Clown Prince of crime.... The creator of chaos.... The life and soul of the party.... I'm the Joker!" He declares while bowing to indicate that he was the one and only. Steve glares at him with disgust, so this is the guy everyone is talking about, he thought to himself. "Seriously Harls, where did you find this guy? In an alleyway? HaHa.. and besides, can't a guy see his best gal without some star spangled muscle head barging in on a good moment!" He smirks, while leaning in closer to Steve's face. "Mistah J he's just a f.." Harley tries to explain but is cut off. "Silence Harls! I'll speak to you when you deserve my time and effort!" Joker snaps round at Harley while putting his finger to his lips. "Yessir!" Harley hung her head.

"Joker is it? I think you had better leave!" Steve growls through gritted teeth before walking around the Joker and standing between him and Harley. "Is that so? Have I worn out my welcome already, what do you say to that Harley?" Joker looks at Harley with a raised eyebrow and a massive smile on his painted red lips. "Steve, could you wait down in your apartment please, till we're finished, I'll be down in a minute." Joker points towards the door while waving goodbye commenting "There's a good boy!" Harley walks behind Steve to close the door behind him he turns to see Harley mouth the words, "I'll be alright." Steve slowly walks to his apartment and sits on his bed waiting anxiously, listening to the shouting coming from upstairs. He couldn't help but worry that she was alright, he had heard about this Joker guy on nights out, henchman talking about what he's done and what he's like, he was a sorry excuse for a human being. Steve couldn't just sit there knowing she could be in danger but as he went to walk to his apartment door, he heard Harley's door open and close upstairs.

Steve hears a knock at his door, he opens it slowly, peaking through the gap to see Harley standing there, twiddling her feet and holding her hands behind her back. "Hey Steve, we can talk now." She looks reassured to see him. "Are you alright Harley?" Steve looked concerned, but happy to see she was alright. He could tell that she was a little uncomfortable standing in the doorway. He grabs her hand gently, "Come with me." Guiding her up the stairs to the roof.

They reach the door to the roof, Steve pushes it open and guides her to the corner near the edge, so no one can hear their conversation. "What happened there?" He looks at her with worry in his eyes. "Mistah J came back for me!" Her eyes lit up with happiness for a moment, "But then he got aggressive when you walked through the door." She looks down to the floor, ashamed. "The way he spoke to you, Harley, he doesn't respect you, I've heard what he's like. He's not a nice guy, I'm sorry I burst in. You know I worry about you!" He gently touches her arm to reassure her. Harley pulls away and stares at him dead in the eyes, "It was really fun, but ya know it meant nothing more than sex. I really need to get back to my Puddin'." She starts walking towards the door. "You surely don't mean that?" He grabs her arm and swings her around so she is facing him. He leans in closer. "Surely it meant something to you!" He touches her forehead with his and stares deeply into her eyes. Harley pulls away and she turns to the city of Gotham, watching the lights come off the city in the dark night. "It doesn't matter now, Mistah J won't like it if I have feelings for someone else!" Steve stares at her with hope in his eyes, "So, what do we do now?" She turns to face him and slowly walks up to where he stood, looking him dead in the eyes again. There was a tear rolling down her cheek, "Nothing we can do, I love Mistah J and that's all there is to it, Captain. I'm sorry for stringing you along!" He could tell she was trying to push him away with words. He gently grabs her arms and leans in so they are almost touching. "We could run away! Go to the next city and start a new life together! Just you and me! What do you say?" Harley just stares at him with an open mouth, trying to hold back tears. After a minute of looking at each other she finally manages to come out with, "I can't leave my Puddin'! He means everything to me!" She pulls away and starts walking to the door. She pauses halfway there and looks back, "I'll always remember you and the times we had together! You will always be my Mistah C!" The door suddenly swings open and out bursts the Joker holding a revolver in his right hand, pointing it at Steve. "Harley, sweetie, it's time to go!" He didn't take his eyes off Steve. "Get downstairs! NOW!!" The Joker screams at Harley because she wasn't moving fast enough. He walks over to Steve slowly, still holding the gun to his face. "It's just you and me, pretty boy! We have some issues on how you have been treating my Harley, by we meaning me!" He winks at Steve while grinning. Harley is peeking around the door frame, trying to not make a noise, so she can see what is happening. Steve just stood there in silence staring at the Joker with disgust and anger. The Joker waves the gun in his face, "So, pretty boy, want to know what it feels like to have holes in your chest and lying on your back on the floor?" Putting his hand to his ear, "Is that a yes?! Splendid! Ha ha ha ha!" The Joker winks again and grins as he raises the gun to his chest. Suddenly there was a loud bang, then another, then another. Harley raises her hand to her mouth in horror to stop herself from screaming as she watches Steve's body fall to the floor.