Chapter 17: Late Night Thoughts

Captain sat on the top of a water tower, watching over Gotham nightlife, listening out for any trouble or commotion. He was still adjusting to this world even after what was now several months. There were so many similarities, almost identical to his world, but then so much was different in this world too. He thought about how the rest of the team was getting on Tony, Thor, Clint, Natasha, Bruce and Sam. He wondered if they even knew what happened to him, if they even knew he was still alive.

It was cloudy in his mind how he got here but he was able to piece it together. He remembered being on a mission with the team, something to do with Latveria. They had to stop Dr Doom from building some contraption that would affect reality as we know it. They got into his castle, making their way into his lab, in the center of the room was a machine, Steve had never seen anything like it before, even Stark didn't fully know what it was made to do, if he'd ever admit it, but nevertheless the Avengers couldn't let him use it. Doom was standing next to a computer console that appeared to operate the machine. He knew we were there, but Doom kept typing, "The Avengers, Earth's Mightiest Heroes!" Doom doesn't turn to acknowledge them "Shut the machine down, or we'll shut it down for you." Iron Man demands, Doom turns around, "Doom does not take orders!" He raises his hands and creates a forcefield around himself. The Avengers start to attack him with everything they got, Iron man shooting his repulsor beams, Thor throws his hammer and Captain America throws his shield. Hulk smashes Doom and the force field into the floor, causing the force field to shut down. Doom throws Hulk against the wall, standing up, he starts firing a beam out of his finger, turning around to point it at Natasha who was standing in front of the machine. Steve notices the shot. "Widow!" He dives pushing her out of the way, just as the beam hits, it all went dark and he felt so much pain. The next thing he remembers was waking up in Harley's apartment. What a morning that was, he thought.

Even being stuck in a new world he didn't regret his decision, and he never thought of it as being stuck, especially with Harley around he never knew anyone quite like her. He'd grown very fond of her even with her being a total opposite to him, she's gorgeous, dangerous, down to earth and a total wild card that lived in the moment, but yet all of that pulled him towards her even more. He knew it even if Harley didn't, the fact that he loved her. "If only she knew." He mutters to himself looking out at the clear night.

He couldn't help but think back to his world, what he'd left behind, who he'd left behind even, the guilt he felt for leaving Rachel alone, it's not like he chose to leave her, but now he couldn't ever think of going back now, not after what's happened, not now that Harley was in his life, he was happier but it still broke him to know the truth, if he was given the opportunity to relive the moment knowing he had Rachel back home, he still would've gone for Harley. He had broken his golden rule, perhaps he wasn't the nice guy that everyone took him for, that he thought he was, nice guys wouldn't do that.

Still sitting on the water tower, Steve lost in thought. Suddenly gets interrupted by someone saying. "Hello handsome, lost in thought, are we?" Turning to look where the voice was coming from, seeing the cat leather black suit. Steve turns back, to face the city of Gotham again and rests his head on his hand, "Good evening Catwoman, I was just thinking of my past." Crouching next to him, "Don't waste your breath sweetheart. Always look forward, I say!" Smiling at her kind words, but he can't help but think of what could've happened to him that day. She leans into his ear, "If you are looking for a distraction. I have just the thing for you." He turns to face her, a little afraid of what she was thinking, he asks, "What do you have in mind?" Catwoman smiles with delight, "My sources say that someone will be breaking into the jewellery shop in Chinatown tonight, want to join me, taking them down?" Steve thinks about it for a moment, he decides it will be a good distraction, "Lead the way."

They move across the rooftops until they come to Golden Jade's Jewellers. Steve kneels down by the edge of the roof opposite, "I see why it could be a target." Noticing all the gold and diamonds displayed in the window. Catwoman laughs, "It's the best place to have a high score, plus selling it to the right buyers, definitely adds to the price." Steve looks over at her with curiosity, "How do you know all of this?" She smiles, "I need to know what the targets are, so I can stop them." He nods with approval.

Suddenly, the alarms start to go off and a red flashing light alerts Steve and Catwoman of their robbery. Steve jumps down and lands perfectly outside the front door of the jewellers, while Catwoman climbs down the side of the building using her claws. Steve watches her, impressed by how fast she moves, "Are you ready?" Catwoman nods and they burst through the door. She runs towards three thugs, who are grabbing the jewellery and placing it in bags, she swings her leg around, hitting one of them in the face. She then pulls out her whip and wraps around one of the thugs hands, throwing him head first against the wall, knocking him out cold, she turns and winks at the remaining thug, "Thanks for the score." Dropping the bag he pulls out his gun and aims it towards her, "The boss won't be happy with that." Steve overhears and throws his shield, making the thug drop the gun. He walks over to him, grabs his chest and lifts him up, "Who do you work for?" The thug spits in his face, "I won't tell Batman where he is, so why should I tell you." Steve looks at him confused, "Where who is?" The thug laughs, "The Joker." Steve headbutts the thug, knocking him unconscious. For some reason, He doesn't like the sound of that name. He turns to see three more thugs pointing their guns towards him. Holding the shield in his left hand, he races at the first thug, shield covering his face. Drop kicking one to the floor, throwing the shield at the other two, knocking them all unconscious.

Standing there proud of his handy work knowing that the crime was stopped. He walks outside so the police can do their job, noticing that Catwoman is nowhere to be found, he quickly turns around facing the store, "She's gone." He whispers under his breath noticing the Golden Jade Bracelet was missing too, he begins looking around the area for any sign of either but with no luck, he decides to provide what information he had to the GCPD and call it a night.

Arriving back at his apartment building, walking up two flights of stairs to the second floor, approaching his door he could hears faint giggling accompanied by quick paced footsteps on the stairs above, he thought nothing of it and returns his attention to the door before noticing an open envelope stuck to it, peeling it off the door and looking inside to find a collection of Polaroid photos, pulling one out of the envelope to look at what was on them, he swallows hard, "Oh lord." Steve was in shock and awe as the picture was a naked selfie of Harley. A slight smile forms on his face as he quickly pulls the rest of the photos out to look at them, to find each one more indecent than the last. He looks around to make sure no one has seen him looking at them, he then places them back in the envelope and places them in one of his pockets. It then occurs to him who was giggling earlier, "Harley." He says under his breath before walking upstairs to her room. He goes to knock on her door but notices it's slightly ajar, pushing it open slowly he is greeted by the sight of Harley in nothing but a black thong bent over one of the arms of her armchair. She turns around to look at him and grins. "Okay." He says with a slight chuckle as he unbuttons his pants and closes the door behind him.