Chapter 6: Sunday Morning

Steve wakes after only a few hours of sleep, he just couldn't stop thinking about what happened, "She kissed me." He repeated time and time again. He climbs out of bed and walks towards the mirror rubbing the back of his head still processing last night, a woman literally threw herself at him and he said no, he knew it was the right call. Not that he didn't want to take her there and then, he was too much of a gentleman to take advantage of a woman giving herself to him. Steve wanted to take her out on dates first before taking her to bed. He was the kind of guy to want more than just a one night stand or a fling. Instead he wanted to buy her roses and chocolates, and shower her with affection.

Steve got dressed and made his way to the shop that he remembered from yesterday, one of the few places he knew in Gotham. He was going to make Harley breakfast, it was the least he could do to apologise for yesterday's behaviour. Steve wandered around the shop talking to himself, "Right.... Eggs, beans, some bread... Where's the meat section?... Ah, here it is! Some bacon and sausages." While Steve was paying for the groceries he thought, I hope she will like this. All he knows about Harley's food choices are sugar and sweet. Then he remembered she didn't have much, he ran around the shop grabbing a pack of forks and knives, also a wooden spoon and two plates.

On the stroll back to the apartment he passed dark alleys with all different graffiti on the walls. "Jeez, this place makes Brooklyn look good." Staring at the graffiti, it looked like a man whose features resembled a clown, but with a devilish grin. It had the word Joker underneath, he wondered what that meant. Never mind that now, he had a meal to prepare and a wrong to right. Steve walks up the stairway and knocks on Harley's door. He quickly panics, What if she's not up. Too late, he heard slow footsteps approach the door. The sound of the latch coming undone and the door slowly open to reveal Harley still in her gown from last night. Her hair in a hot mess that covers her face, as she attempts to rub her eyes. "Steve?...What time is it?"

"Sorry Harley, I didn't realise you were still asleep!" He starts to turn and head back downstairs to his apartment. "I'm sorry I woke you, I will come back later." Harley opens the door to let him inside. "It's alright, I'm awake now. You can come in." Steve walks back up the stairs and smiles at her as he heads towards the kitchen, "I hope you like a cooked breakfast." After looking through many cupboards he finally found them and started getting the frying pans out to place on the side, next to the cooker. He placed the groceries next to the frying pans, so he could start cooking. Steve looks up at Harley, who was watching him with curiosity, "I apologies for what happened last night. I thought this would be a good way to start making it up to you."

Harley walked over to the kitchen and sat on the counter opposite the cooker. She smiles, "It's a good start, Steve." He smiles before turning around and switching the cooker on. He grabs the frying pan and puts it on the stove. Steve starts to cook the eggs, ensuring that it didn't spit onto Harley. He grabs the wooden spoon and starts poking the eggs, while humming the tune Easy like a Sunday morning. Suddenly, he felt Harley's hand slide gently around his waist. She pressed herself against his back and he froze in panic, not knowing how to respond. He didn't want to offend her by pulling the hands away, but he didn't want to lead her on either. Harley's hold got tighter around his waist and she reached up to whisper in his ear, "There is another way you can make it up to me." Steve's entire body tensed up from the sensation that spread through his veins. He lifts up the frying pan and slides the eggs on two plates. He continued to cook the rest of the breakfast until it was complete. Harley's hands remain around his waist the entire time. "Breakfast is served!" Steve said with a sigh of relief as Harley removed her hands and took her plate to the mattress, where she sat down and put the plate full of food on her lap. Steve picks up his plate, after putting the frying pan and spoon in the sink. He grabs two pairs of knives and forks, and proceeds to the living room. He notices that Harley was on the floor instead of the armchair, "Why don't you sit in the armchair and I'll sit on the floor?" He says while she's looking up at him smiling. "I'm comfy here, thanks Steve. Why don't you sit in the armchair instead?" He looks at her and proceeds to the chair, not wanting to disobey her. As he sat down about to put the plate on his lap, Harley smiles, "Do you want to play a game?" He looks at her with curiosity, "What do you have in mind?" Her smile got wider as she placed her plate to the side of her, "It's called fire engine!" Steve looks at Harley with great interest, "How do you play?" She smiles even wider, "I'll show you!" She places her hand on his knee, "My hand will slowly move up your leg and when you want me to stop, you say red light!" He wasn't sure whether to play, but after last night, he believes he has a lot of making up to do. "Alright, let's play!" Harley continued to grin as her hand slowly began to move up his leg slowly. She was about half way up when Steve started to tense up. He nervously said, "Red light!" Harley grins while leaning in closer before whispering, "Fire engines don't stop for red lights!" Steve looked at her with panic in his eyes and his whole body froze as her hand carried on up his leg until it reached the top of the thigh.