Chapter 5: That Night

Harley slips through the door, the back of Steve's head just visible over the high back of the armchair. "Ahem." She coughs lightly to get his attention. His tea cup clinks softly as he places it on the old suitcase. "Yes Miss Quinn." He said softly, as he turned. There she was, in a tiny black and red checkered miniskirt, with a lace underlayer that teasingly hid the majority of her indecency, not that it wasn't decent mind, what that lace hid. The curve of her cheeks only hinted at whilst leaving the rest to the imagination. Thigh length black stockings covering the majority of her legs, with a band of soft, pale skin peeking through between the stockings and lace, two black bands running up each side of each leg. Steve had never seen a woman in a state of undress with his own eyes, besides Miss Quinn, but he had seen a naughty magazine once. He didn't care much for those, but from what he had seen he knew that those black bands must be attached to a garter belt, which would be sitting on her hips around her delicate waist. He shook the mental image from his head, his hand gripping his leg tight. Rising up from that was a corset top, done tightly at the back, smoothing out her curves. It had a zip down the front which was undone slightly at the top to reveal the result of the push up factor the tightness gave her chest. What caught Steve's eye the most, since he was trying to focus on her face, was seeing her hair down, the way it tumbled in loose curls and waves to frame her face, haphazardly perfect. The blonde shining in the sunlight, "You look lovely, as always, Miss Quinn." Steve said honestly. Ravishing even he thought to himself for a split second. He watches her move around the room tidying this and that, her skirt moving around her like it was fluid, especially as she opens up the doors to the tiny balcony, the breeze catching her hair and lace, sending both rippling out behind her. Steve notices she moves with such grace when she was absentmindedly doing some task, but the second she focuses on something she could become quite clumsy. It was quite amusing watching her glide across a room, only to trip slightly over her own feet. He smiles to himself, shaking his head slightly, before getting up to stand on the balcony, grabbing his shield on the way passed.

He misses home, whatever or wherever that was, his mind still a bit fuzzy as to what life he had led before. He didn't feel like he was a bad kind of guy, or at least he certainly wasn't now. And Miss Quinn seems to be a nice woman too, but then again, she had mentioned something about an Arkham diet being worse than army food, and unless that was some fad dieting tip she really didn't need, the only diet he could think of more basic than army, was prison. Was he living with a bad person, maybe the laws were tighter here than he expected. Briefly he imagines Miss Quinn in a cold dark cell, all alone and afraid. A flash of anger ran through his body, "No!" He said to himself, there's no way this sweet girl could be guilty of something that awful she should be locked up. He couldn't shake the image from his mind, or the feeling of wanting to wrap her in his arms, happy and safe from the evils of this world and the next.

Grabbing a cloth from the kitchen he walks back over to the balcony, and polishes away his mental frustrations whilst watching the sunset. After a good hour or so it was glinting at what little light was there. Harley has spent most of her time dotted about the flat, doing odd jobs and this and that. But Steve realises he hasn't seen her in a few minutes and was about to go check she was ok when a golden path of light spread across the floor from the bathroom. He squints as his eyes adjust from the light to the dark, making out Miss Quinn's shape as she stalks across the room towards him. By the time his eyes adjusted to the light she was barely 6 foot away. The sight he saw hit him like a tonne of bricks and stopped him in his tracks, lost for words.

Her hair was in pigtails that bounced playfully as she walked, her eyes thick with black eyeliner and her lips ruby red, both highlighted on her pale face. She was wearing a red sheer babydoll nightdress, the light from behind silhouetting her body. Steve swallows hard. Oh god he groans inside. She looks irresistibly good. "How about we get to know each other better." She purrs now right in front of him. He ran his hands through his hair in torment as she trails a finger down from his shoulder to his belt, pressing against his. Steve could feel the warmth of her body pressing up against him. Her fingers working their way through his belt. "How about we share the bed tonight hmm?" Harley asks, her voice like liquid gold, wrapping him in warmth inside and out. Steve stares down at her, running a hand over her shoulder and down the backs of her arms, pausing at her waist then grabbing her wrists firmly. She shot him a challenging look, her eyes gone from sultry to wild in a split second. "No." Steve orders. "No.. Not.. I can't.. We've just." He stammers softly as he struggles to get out the proper words.

Harley pulls away from him, and he let her wrists drop, the wild in her eyes softening to an almost sad distant look, her right hand swiftly moving up to her shoulder and her left arm curls around her stomach as she walks away, slumping against the door to the balcony, the light summer night's breeze rustling her dress till she wraps her arms around her knees, "No, it's ok, I get it, you don't want me. Can't blame you for avoiding getting tied up in a mess like me? God knows you're not the first guy in my life to be uninterested." She sniffles to herself more than Steve, before burying her head in her arms.

Steve's heart aches to see this usually bubbly girl look so defeated. It was only this evening he had promised himself to keep her happy and he's already broken his word and hurt her, "Idiot." He curses himself under his breath before letting out a big sigh, his hand rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly. Before walking over to sit next to her, "Its.. It's not that I don't, because I do, your very, very.. well, you're gorgeous and I'm anything but uninterested, honestly." He explains, his hands restlessly turning this way and that, turning occasionally to look at her, hoping she'd stop hiding her face and smile, "It's just that, ok.. this is a bit embarrassing.. promise not to laugh, Ok?" He asks hopefully. "Ok." Harley's quiet pouty voice replies. Taking a deep breath in and out Steve prepares himself to be mocked. "I've, never.. been.. with someone, in that way." He admits, now hiding his flushed cheeks with his head in his hands, his elbows resting on his knees. He waits for a laugh or taunt but there was only silence for a few excruciatingly long seconds. He peeks at her again, her head now resting on her arms looking at him glumly. "I don't believe that." She sighs. "No, really, honestly, I mean, I'm not entirely useless, I've been on dates, held hands, kissed, and I'm pretty good at dancing or so I've been told. I was just raised to, wait, before doing something so, intimate." He finishes, staring off into the distant Gotham city lights. He felt Miss Quinn shuffle closer, so their sides were pressing together sending lightning bolts through his body, her head now resting on his shoulder as she stares off into those same city lights, "I guess I've just been so, so lonely this last year, I'm just jumping the barrel. Trying to rev the bike before the engines even really on." She sighs, "I'm sorry, it's just.. I'm not.. I'm bro...."
She trails off, wiping smudged eyeliner from her face before rising to stand again, "Oh forget it. It's late, and I'm guessing you won't be comfortable on that armchair all night. Luckily for you I own most of the apartments on the top floor and next one down, and I should have a spare room downstairs that's semi furnished, it has a mattress, a functioning oven and some odds and sods." She says, walking to the kitchen and pulling a set of keys from the draw, chucking them to Steve. He stood, rapidly catching the pillow and blanket being thrown at him with his speedy reflexes. "It's down the stairs, then right in front of you, basically right below me!" Harley chirps, having brightened up a bit, though Steve suspects that it was mostly for show. She slips a jersey on over her nighty, some shoes on her feet then grabs a bowl, cup and cutlery from the draws and lead Steve down stairs, "I gathered you'd want your own space, not after what was said tonight per say, but in general. Hope it's ok for now, oh and don't worry about cash till you find a job and get your feet on the ground." Harley explains juggling the kitchenware in one hand as she unlocks the door with the other, placing the stuff on a dusty kitchen side as Steve chucks the bedding on an old mattress. "Oh and thanks for, umm, explaining everything." Harley said walking back towards the front door, hiding a small yawn and her smudged eyes. "I'll come see you around 10am ok?" She said as she left.

Steve closes the door after her, and slumps against it. Hoping he hasn't blown his chance tonight with his gentlemanly ways. Then there was a light knock at the door which made him jump. Unlatching the door he stuck his head out. Suddenly Harley was there in his side visuals. "Couldn't go without saying goodnight!" She explains before kissing him softly on the cheek, as he froze in place, his heart hammering in his chest. "Well.. Goodnight!" Harley calls, already rushing up the stairs, her gown hardly covering the soft round curve of her ass.

"Goodnight." Steve whispers in shock as he closes the door, removing his clothes in a zombie-like state before falling into bed. It then sank in. She'd kissed him, He hadn't blown it. A huge grin spread across his lips. Good luck getting to sleep tonight he thought.