iii.

"Alright everybody, it's a beautiful day to save lives. Let's have some fun," Derek Shepherd voices as he begins surgery on Katie Bryce.

Hadley Andrews sits in the observation deck with her legs crossed. She bites her lip as she keeps her eyes on the doctor's hands. The girl's brain is bleeding and she knew. Hadley knows she should be down there with the neurosurgeon, not Meredith Grey. The lucky intern already has a famous mother. She has the upper hand before she even begins. There is no competing with that, or so Hadley believes.

Thinking back to med school, Hadley recalls her peers. Most of them were snobby rich kids who came from a family of doctors. None were like her, lucky to get a break.

In high school, the girl knew that what she wanted more than anything was to be a surgeon. She had no realistic way to become one, though. She didn't have money to her name. Everything went to her no good half brother that didn't even live with her. He was lucky. Hadley's mother, Quinn Reynolds, was teacher in a small school. She had remarried three times before the tragic fire. Quinn was one to be stunned by love. Hadley's father was her first husband, her first love. The Reynolds woman knew no better. Her own parents were dysfunctional. After being divorced from her first husband, Quinn was infatuated with her lawyer. He was well off, and handsome. He wanted more and more money. Quinn Reynolds had little as it was, but just a single dollar sign drove the lawyer crazy. They soon married and were expecting Thomas Addams. Once again, Quinn found that she wasn't happy. The couple fought and fought until they reached their breaking points. Being a lawyer, Hadley's stepfather was able to take everything the family had including his young son. Quinn was broken by the loss of her son. Knowing the Addams lawyer, she knew the boy would be raised thinking she was a terrible mother. She was dedicated to showing the boy that she wasn't a bad person, therefore everything she owned was supposed to go to him in the case of her untimely death. Not long after releasing her revision of her will, Quinn was killed in a tragic fire that took a piece of her daughter.

      Years passed and Hadley had been bounced around different foster homes. Her real father was nowhere to be found, and the lawyer wouldn't be caught dead with his ex's daughter. Hadley Andrews was scum to him, and he let her know that.

      After graduating high school, Hadley would go to the local library and read medical books, striving to learn all that she could. It payed off, for on one rainy day in Los Angeles, she stumbled upon an older lady who had collapsed on the sidewalk. The young girl jumped at the opportunity to help. The lady had experienced a heart attack.

The woman was a singer and had quite a large sum of money to her name. Hadley had explained to her that she was fascinated with medicine and the elderly lady paid for her schooling.

"I shouldn't be here," Hadley whispers as Dr. Shepherd finishes the surgery.

     "Ya' know, sometimes I don't think I should either. I come from a small town of rednecks. It's pretty much all guns and alcohol there. No one expected me to become a surgeon. My parents thought I'd be working in some shed with nasty, greasy guys, but I'm here with beautiful girls," George tells her, speaking quickly as his hands danced around in the air.

      Hadley's smile speaks for itself as the pair stands from their seats. One by one, people file out of the small space. George stays by the Andrews girl, acting as if he wants another word.

     "So I heard one of your patients talking," he starts, speed walking to catch up to the girl.

     "Unless it was the comatose man in room 203, it's normal for my patients to talk, George," Hadley jokes as she stops walking. She turns to face her fellow intern.

George shakes his head with a short laugh and replies, "No, I mean my appendectomy patient, Mr. Jackson. Him and his friend were talking before I went into his room. They were talking about you, Hadley."

-----

     "This was supposed to be it, my break. Everything was supposed to change when I walked through those doors. I wanted to save lives, I want to see people live. I thought this was my chance. Nobody will give me a chance!" Hadley Andrews yells at the bartender, slamming down her shot glass.

     "Another?" the man asks, obviously used to people spilling their sorrows as they drink. Hadley, controlled by her drunken state, nods her head.

     Drink after drink, Hadley rants. With each shot, the young intern feels her mind leaving. For once in her life, she feels like she can do something. She feels that her past isn't influencing her life. She feels free.

     "There's a man wanting to pay for your next drink," the bartender --who Hadley had learned was named Joe -- informs, motioning to a man across the bar.

The man sends Hadley a wink and two-fingered wave. Hadley finds him very attractive. He has dark brown hair with dirty blonde streaks and blue eyes that remain locked on the drunk doctor. The man wears a black v-neck and jeans.

Hadley motions the man over with a single finger, biting the edge of her lower lip. She giggles as he comes to sit beside her.

"I'm Easton," the man smiles, his pearly white teeth showing past his lips.

"Hadley," the girl greets, stretching the 'y.' "You sure you want to pay for my drink?" she questions, stumbling over her words.

Easton shakes his head, "I'm not so sure that's a smart thing to do."

"Why not?"

"You're drunk," he replies, waving the bartender over. "The lady needs some water."

"Joe Joe, don't listen to him. I need to be productive," Hadley groans in protest, slamming her glass down on the bar. "I'll take a shot of the good stuff."

"I think you need to sleep. You're not saving lives when you're drunk out of your mind. Easton, do me a favor and drive her home. It's getting late," the bartender says, grabbing Hadley's empty glasses.

"Come on, Hadley," Easton tells the drunk girl, helping her stand. Together, they make their way to the parking lot.

     "Where are we going?" Hadley questions seductively, stumbling over her feet.

     Easton shakes his head with a chuckle, "I'm taking you home. Where do you live?"

     Hadley stops walking, turning to face the man. She places a hand on his chest, biting her lip. "Why don't we go to your place?"

     The man sighs, taking his car keys out of his pocket. With a click, he unlocks a car. Hadley looks over the car that lights up. It is black and white with a six letter word across the side. Police.

     "Am I getting arrested? Are you the fuzz?" Hadley questions, instantly worried. "Did I do anything wrong?"

     "No, Hadley. I'm doing my brother a favor...doing you a favor. Now get in the car and tell me where you live."

     Hadley smirks, "You have a brother? Is he as attractive as you?"

     A laugh escapes Easton's lips as he opens the passenger door for the drunk girl. He replies, "My brother is Joe, the owner of the bar."

     Hadley nods her head, climbing into the car. As the door shuts, Hadley glances at the hospital across the street. I'm no doctor.

-------------------------------------------------------

Sorry it's so short, I wanted a chapter that didn't quite follow the script, so that's what I wrote.

Who would you like Hadley to end up with? The hot cop, Easton? The appendix-less ex military hottie, Phillip Jackson? Or one of the doctors at Seattle Grace?

Let me know what you think!

Any questions?

Share!
Comment!
Like!

maddy