xiv

"As you can tell, there have been quite a few changes since you've last been here," Richard Webber, the Chief of Surgery tells Hadley.

     The girl laughs, "I couldn't tell. I mean, Seattle Grace Mercy West isn't different at all."

     "I can see you've changed as well, Andrews," the man comments with a chuckle.

     Hadley takes in a breath. How has she changed? Sure, she's had her heart broken, her leg taken, but she hasn't changed in a way this man could notice. Has she?

     "Changed?" She simply questions, glancing around the office.

     The blinds had been closed when she arrived, the large wall of glass windows becoming just a barrier.

     "When you first came here, you were quiet and didn't want to speak a word. You were silent, and you always seemed to hide behind your coat."

"Sir, I've learned to not pity myself. Without the pity, I can simply just be. It's much easier that way. I've also learned that being silent and terrified of the world solves nothing. I've had more laughs with that mindset."

Webber smiles wide, "I'm glad you improved yourself." The man stands and walks to the door. "Let's go introduce you to the new trauma attending."

Hadley was had a passion for trauma; her time in the military made that apparent to her, but she wasn't quite sure how she would be able to handle seeing trauma after what had happened in Iraq. Hadley was not okay. She was far from okay. The Andrews girl had always been one with mental issues. Before her time in the military, she thought she was traumatized by the fire and the death of her mother. She was wrong; Hadley did not know mental trauma as well as she thought. What had happened overseas traumatized her in ways she never imagined. It also changed her. Part of the change was noticed by the chief, and that change was one that Hadley prided herself for. She was grateful that she was no longer the terrified little girl that she was when she arrived at Seattle Grace as an intern. She had changed.

     As Hadley walked alongside the Chief through the hospital, one of the most prominent changes was obvious. She limped as she walked, her prosthetic sounding different as she took her steps. She was still adjusting to the pain, especially the phantom pains that would come and go. The girl worried what her fellow doctors would think of her disability, but she made little effort to hide it. She couldn't if she tried.

     "Whats with the prison jumpsuits?" Hadley questioned the chief as they passed a man in orange scrubs, identical to those she had changed into upon arriving at the hospital.

     Richard laughed, "It's the first day for those from Mercy West. We were low on scrubs."

"At least I won't stick out like a sore thumb," Hadley laughs as the pair entered the emergency room.

The pit was crazy. It was almost overwhelming to the girl, but she was excited. This was her dream, and she had waited so long to return to a hospital.

     "Dr. Hunt!" Webber called out.

     Time seemed to slow for Hadley. A ball of air seemed to get stuck in the back of her throat and she struggled to hold herself up. As the red-headed man stepped into her line of sight, Hadley felt as though she was hit by a bullet. She could hear the fire crackling beside her, and her entire body felt as though it was on fire.

     "Andrews?" Owen called out, stepping closer to the girl. She stood still in the middle of the ER, a look of horror and shock plastered across her face. Webber stared at the new resident with confusion.

    "I take it you know each other?"

     "Andrews!"

     Hadley glanced up at the doctors, blinking away tears and curling her hands up in fists to hide her shaking. She forced a smile onto her face.

     "Major Hunt! I wasn't expecting to see you!" Hadley spoke slowly, struggling to words out. Owen nodded at Webber slightly, sending the man away.

     "Andrews, are you sure you're ready for this?"

     "My therapist cleared me, Owen. You know that. I'm ready to get back to work."

     "But Hadley, are you ready?"

     "I'm fine."

     How dare he? Thought Hadley, anger consuming her. She wanted to move on. She wanted to build a life for herself. She was exhausted by what her life had become—one controlled by her past traumas. It was finally her time to move on from that. Her therapist was comfortable with her moving on. He claimed she was ready.

     Owen Hunt looked over the girl, recalling what she had looked like that night. He remembered the blood and dirt across her face, lit up by the flames around them. He hadn't seen her since he returned to the United States, but he was protective over her. They shared what was one of the most defining moments of both of their lives.

Hadley's return was going to be difficult for the both of them.

—————

Okay wow so like... it's been two years since I've updated this... almost three. I have very little recollection of where I wanted this story to go. Frankly, I don't even think I knew. I know this story has a lot of plot holes. It isn't all that great, and I'd like to start something new. I was shocked to see that I am still, after two and a half years, getting reads. It's amazing. I can only imagine what it would be if this is well written.

I have also gotten a couple hate comments about how this story is too bad to continue. And to that, sorry bout ya. Deal with it; close the book and move on, or I'll block ya ;). I'm not forcing you to read it. I know it's lacking, but it's decent ish LOL.

For those of you who enjoy this, thank you. I cannot promise regular updates, as I am in college and stressed. I hope I can continue this and update regularly. I eventually would like to start something new, but I'm not sure. I'm also working on my own sci-fi novel. That is my priority, as it is my pride and joy.

Thank y'all for sticking around 💛

Maddy