xiii

Hadley didn't instantly know she wanted to be a surgeon. She simply knew she wanted to be in the field of medicine. At first she considered studying the way people think. She considered being a therapist—talking to people about their problems. She instantly turned that down when she realized she hadn't gotten over hers.

The brain is one weird organ—especially in a time of distress. Sometimes the brain can do strange thing. Those things can seem almost crazy when explained to a perfectly sane person.

"Hadley Andrews, I want more than anything for you to be my wife. I want to spend my life with you. I want to be there for you. . .and this baby."

Hadley's ears ring. She is disoriented, and her head spins. Her mind flashes back to her car accident before she fades into unconsciousness.

"Andrews!" She hears as her shoulder is lightly shaken. She can feel something running down her leg. "Hadley, I think you're having the baby."

"Andrews!" Another voice says, this time a harsh growl. Hadley comes to, her mind still foggy. She is outside in the dark, a fire crackling beside her. She lies on firm sand. A red head is knelt beside her, his military uniform covered in dust, sweat, and blood.

"Where am I?" Hadley mumbles almost incoherently. It's a surprise to her that the man seemed to understand.

"You're in Iraq. We were ambushed. Your head is bleeding and your leg is stuck under some metal. I can't lift it so I'm going to need you to stay still and calm."

Iraq. Iraq.

Hadley sucks in a deep breath. "Iraq? Why the hell am I in Iraq? I'm a surgical intern in Seattle. Oh, god I'm going insane."

Each of you comes here hopeful, wanting in on the game. A month ago you were in med school being taught by doctors. Today, you are the doctors.

"Oh my god," Hadley gasps, it all coming to her. "I'm in Iraq."

Suddenly, pain floods to Hadley and she has to strain herself not to scream. The man placed a firm hand on her shoulder.

"Andrews, help is going to come soon. Until then, I need you to stay calm. Here, you can squeeze my hand when it hurts," the man says, placing his large hand inside one of Hadley's small ones.

Owen Hunt did not even dream of leaving Hadley's side until she was safe. She seemed too innocent and soft to even be close to a battlefield. It is a mystery to him how a girl like her even ended up in the military. He didn't dig, through. Hadley had bigger troubles to worry about.

Just like Phillip Jackson, she can no longer serve her country. Unlike him, though, she is left with injuries that will scar her for a very long time.

     Hadley is sure of one thing; she will be a surgeon.

———————————————————————————

YIKES! This is so awful and short, but I am currently sick. After this chapter, I promise it will get back to Seattle Grace. There will be no more drastic jumping in time.

Sorry for the long wait as well! Junior year is super stressful!

Love y'all! Thanks for 30k!

Maddy