1. Lion

You come bounding down the stairs. The old, cedar wool creaking under your toes. The TV's playing some infomercial, a rugged looking man holds his palms on the sides of his face. "But wait, there's more!" He yells.

     You pay him no mind, walking into the small, dimly lit living room. The TV casts a slight blue light on you as you pass by. The pitter patter of rain is louder now that you're right by the door.

     You feet hit tile as you enter the kitchen, good thing you're wearing socks, it's always freezing. You sit yourself down at the yellow-ish wooden table.

     Wood, wood, wood, it was pretty much everywhere. But what do you expect from a home built by your father?

     "[y/n], haven't seen you in years." Your father groaned as he placed two plates of food on the table. You roll your eyes. "You saw me this morning."

     "This is true, but you're always tucked in your room. Always on that phone of yours. Talking to boys." He sat down across you, [h/c] a mess. The absence of your mother was so apparent here.

     She always sat at the head of the table, right beside the both of you. It'd been a full year since she died, it still crossed your mind sometimes when you ate at the table. And he still Wouldn't tell you how.

     One day she was here, then gone for hours. Then days. And then your father found her body. It looked like she'd been in a car crash. You shook off the thoughts. Happy thoughts-

     You always did this. You always did this to yourself-

     You looked a lot like her. According to your parents, your mother has a condition that caused her to look strange. Pink scars under her eyes, white hair, pointy ears. Good thing the only thing you didn't inherit was the ears.

     Your father was staring at you.

     "Friends, Dad. They're friends of mine. And I can only call them, since they're with the Garrison and all," You continue, lazily stabbing at your food with the fork.

     "Either way," he hummed, "Where's your phone?"
    You cocked an eyebrow before flicking your eyes over to where your phone sat on the edge of the table; face down.

     The rest of dinner was quiet for the most part. Besides idle chit-chat between bites, and occasional, distant thunder. Just as you were finishing, your phone started buzzing.

     It caught your attention immediately, your hand darted over and grabbed it. It was from the Garrison.

     You gave your father a tight smile, "Can I go?" He waved you away with a smile. "Thanks," you hummed as you practically tossed you plate into the dishwasher. Then you bounded off to your room.

     As you padded by the infomercial, you answered the call. "What's up, babes?" You grinned as Hunk's face popped up on your screen.

     "You're alive!" He cheered. Pidge poked his head in frame. "Hey, [y/n]." He welcomed.

    "How's the garrison?" You asked, closing your door and leaning against it.

     "Keith dropped out!" Lance yelled, he was off screen. It sounded like he was just getting back. You gave a small wave to Lance as he appeared behind Hunk.

     "Keith-?" You questioned, you'd heard the name before. Where?

     "Lance's 'rival'," Pidge smirked.

     "Right-"  you nodded. Hunk jumped in less then a second later. "In better news- I got your package! God job hiding the chocolate."

     "You know I always come through." You winked. Lance jumped in front of Hunk, pretty much making himself the only one in frame.

     "No-you don't understand- I'm a pilot now!"

     "Oh, congrats?" That's a good thing, right? You weren't one for flying spaceships or whatever. Though astronomy was an interest of yours.

     Speaking of, Pidge shoved the other too out of frame. "Last time we said we'd continue our conversation on neutron stars."

     "Right- well what do you wanna-" a crash of thunder rocked the house. It was much closer this time.

     "What was that?" Hunk asked, sticking his head in front of Pidge, chocolate covering his mouth.

     "Thunder," you answered as you stumbled over to the window. Did it strike something close?

     "That's much louder than any storm I've ever heard." Pidge said quizzically.

     As you peered outside, you saw the shape of some giant thing outside. "I gotta go," you hissed and hung up before anyone could say a word.

     You dropped your phone and ran down the stairs and out of the house.

     You went around the side of the house. You came upon a gigantic mechanical cat. Your eyes went wide with awe.

     In your shock, you almost forgot how cold you were, or how the rain seeped into you clothes.

     The cat sat, with dark eyes inside a white, glowing see-through ball. It towered over you. "What is that?"

     The lion didn't move or speak. Just stared. You walked towards it, cringing as you wet socks slapped the muddy ground. You could feel your heart practically break your rib-cage; fear filling you. We're you crazy, going insane? Was this a prank?

     As you got close, it's eyes lit up yellow, blue dotting around its body, the ball disappeared. You froze in fear and it leaned in close to you. It opened it mouth.

     You felt something pull you in. Not physically, but it was drowning out the fear. The need to be inside it, to know it.

    So you stepped in.