23. Re-thinking

"[y/n], hey you okay?" Pidge asks as you walk outside. Your eyes were clouded and distant. For whatever reason you were just now realizing there's a part of your memory missing. What if you'd done something awful?

      "I'm alright," you answer, doing your best to push it to the side. "Thinking about home is all." The rest of the team were chatting to Coran about the exercise, so it was just you and Pidge out there.

       The shorter girl motions for you to follow her, so you do. She leads you a bit farther down the bridge that connects the castle to the rest of the land. She sat down on the edge, dangling her feet above open air.

       You sat down beside her, watching carefully as she tried to figure how to word something. "You weren't thinking about home, were you?" She didn't look you in the eye, instead focused on her swaying feet. She fiddled with her hands.

       "Don't worry about it, it'll upset you." You said to her, resting a hand in her shoulder. Pidge gritted her teeth. "Everything out here is huge. I can't even comprehend it! This whole time everyone looks at me because I'm smart- I have to know what's right!"

      You glanced behind you as she spoke. You understood what she was saying, as your eyes landed on the lions. They were giants, and you two were just two girls. The whole universe was resting in you. Something so large you can't even picture it.

       And then you looked out over the bridge. You could see hills and grass and trees in the distance. Clouds hovered above the two of you. You felt so small, so tiny. Why did everything rest on you?

       "But I don't know! I don't know what to do." You blinked in surprise as you saw Pidges eyes tearing up. "What I do know is that I want to help you. Let me help you."

        "There's something I don't remember. I got a flashback to when I was with the Galra, and I don't get it. There's a huge dark patch in my memory. It's scary not knowing what I've done."

        Pidge was quiet for awhile. "You said they shocked you right? It's been found that patients  subjected to electroshock therapy have had large parts of their memory wiped . I think that's what we're dealing with here.

        "But don't worry, alright? We'll all still love you no matter what you did during your time with the Galra. You were but in an awful position. Sometimes you've got to do bad things to survive." She stood up, wipping away tears that never fell. "But know we're going to save the universe."

         You smiled faintly, taking her hand as she pulled you up. "The other paladins are coming," she said. "I'll let you tell them when your ready." Pidge smiled before jogging off to her lion.

        You stood still for a moment, processing what she'd said to you. You need to remember, her friends love her. Maybe living in a time if war is what you need to get through it.

        Maybe it wasn't too late for puppy love.