xx15xx

"How am I not behind bars—"

"I convinced the Court that I saw a vision of you if they were to take you in this early," Sumer interrupted Tyler's question yet again since she had picked us up at the airport with Chance at her side and a league of federal agents briefing me and Tyler about how this trial was going to work. "You clearly don't like to be confined."

"Who does?" Tyler tried to charm.

Now, it was an hour from midnight and it was just the three of us in Sumer's gigantic house, which she only stayed in alone because her father didn't want to be pulled into this business for fear of a bad reputation. I was just grateful for her to allow us staying here.

But I was still overwhelmed with the memory of being here. She had told me my stuff was still in the room I had stayed in...with Zaine. I asked her if the others were going to stay here as well, but she admitted that her visions kept changing as people's decisions kept changing. At this point, it was just going to be us, Cariba, and Warren.

"Where are they by the way?" I asked her once she mentioned them.

"They were meeting with Zaine and Wilbur," she answered. Both of their names weighed on my heart.

"Wilbur's here?" Tyler asked. "Why didn't you ever mention him?"

I ignored it and focused back on Sumer.

"What was the meeting about?" I asked her.

"All I know is that they got mad at me after telling Zaine you were coming today," she said. "Zaine was going to take Wilbur to San Antonio before he found out."

"And now?" I asked her. She bit her lip like she usually did when she couldn't tell us the future because of the contrast in our reactions. Suddenly, from the den, we heard the front door open and close. Even though I hadn't had many years with the sound of Wib's voice, I knew it was him asking "Hello?"

Once Wib's tall frame was revealed at the entrance to the den, Tyler had stood and approached him.

"Wilbur? Is that you? Dude, you're so grow up and—" Tyler had begun to compliment as he held his arms out to Wib, but Wib only put a hand at Tyler's chest and walked with him until he could pin him at the mantle by getting a hold on his throat and pulling out an arrow from the side pocket to the backpack and bag of arrows he wore along with his bow that I was surprised he had.

"I'm grown enough to beat the hell out of you for all you've done," Wilbur hissed at Tyler. I stood up and meant to pull him away from him, even though I understood his anger, but Tyler had used his speed to knock the arrow out of Wilbur's hand and escape from the position. Wilbur, who had taken a few incredulous deep breaths looks at Tyler. "You're...—"

"You're speaking," Tyler noticed with a smile as proud as my own when I first heard Wilbur harness his speech. "Oh my God you're actually—" he had reached out to embrace him once more, but again, Wib had pinned him and Tyler escaped. This time, Wib didn't just watch for the proof that Tyler had powers. He slid the bow off his shoulder, picked out another arrow, placed it between the noch and arrow rest and aimed it right at Tyler's forehead.

"Let's see who's faster: you or this arrow," Wilbur challenged and then I walked over to lower the bow and look at him.

"Stop," I ordered and then his brilliant blue eyes looked down at me. I saw they were changed. Wilbur wasn't the naïve, Deaf boy he was when we began all of this. He had grown up.

"You lost the right to tell me what to do the moment you walked out on us," he huffed down at me and I felt whatever what's left of my heart cracking to pieces. He disarmed the bow and I stayed looking at him and seeing his eyes that turned into dark orbs of pure sadness or maybe hatred, even when I sensed the room filling up with more people. But Wib had began to turn his back on me—physically, now—and I wanted to chase after him, if it wasn't for the sound of more steps hitting the wooden flooring and Tyler's stance changing. I didn't need to look over to feel the tension in the room.