xx38xx

On the opposite side of the bed as Zaine, I aided in removing the throw pillows and duvet that we didn't need during this summer month. We hadn't pestered Cheshire about his plans to leave because we were just glad he was staying so he was given the den to sleep in...meaning Zaine was back in our room. I found myself completely nervous whilst in his presence and judging by the silence, I felt that maybe he was too. Once we finished preparing the bed for our final slumber, I sat down on my side of the bed while he pulled his shirt off. I was still mesmerized by his body even though I knew none of the guys had access to a proper gym for weeks. He paused with the shirt in his hands and looked over his shoulder once he did it.

"I'm sorry. I can put it back on..."

"No, no. Whatever makes you comfortable," I told him and he only nodded, kept the fabric off his torso, and took his own seat on the bed. We didn't lean along the headboard or position ourselves to sleep though. We just sat crisscrossed facing each other. It was at this moment that even though we needed to talk, I wanted to keep things light this evening. Who knew what would happen after tomorrow? "Thanks for what you said to Cheshire."

He shrugged. "Telling the truth is no big deal." But it was. He finally revealed the allegiance he had with Cheshire. It was a pure moment between them and caused Cheshire to stay. It meant a lot to me too. "Speaking of which..." Here we go. "Have you thought about what you're doing after all of this?"

"After this?" I asked and gestured to the room and situation. "Or this?" I gestured between us. His brown eyes ticked between mine before he answered me and then slid his hand onto my knee.

"Not us," he countered despite the touch. I sighed because it was still a deflection from the discussion of our future, but I actually thought it quite noble for him to focus on the individuality because there would be no us without us both being solid in our own lives. Instead of considering the blunder of asking me the wrong thing, his eyes were patient for my answer.

"Um, go back to Texas...finish school...hopefully get into college," I answered and it caused him to look down in an unreadable expression. "Everything outside of that includes picking up the last two years and starting over, I guess."

He only nodded and I knew that he was going to be overly patient as usual. I would have to bite the bullet and bring up a hard conversation with him like I had to initiate with Cheshire.

"I heard you got commissioned," I added. His expression really didn't change much.

"Something like that."

"Well were you just never gonna mention it or...?"

"I didn't think I had to," he expressed and it caused me to frown. I actually felt myself start to get a bit angry.

"Because I should just assume or because communication with me doesn't matter?"

Now his hand slid off my knee and he sighed. "Communication with you does matter. I just—"

"Doesn't feel like it," I interrupted. "Not with the whole Cheshire thing or not speaking this whole time or especially telling me about whatever Carlisle gave you in that file—let alone if we're gonna figure out what we're gonna do after tomorrow."

"Are you sure you'll still want this after tomorrow?" he had the audacity to ask me. He looked away from me now and I found it ridiculous that this man was doubting me wanting him when I had clearly proclaimed that I loved him and he seemed like he returned the feelings too. Unless...he didn't.

"Do you?" I asked because I had never actually asked before.

He suddenly got up from the bed and paced stressfully.