Long Time Coming

“Good afternoon Mr. Burns and Mr. Vincent. I understand that you are here to adopt...two children today?? Are you looking for two girls, two boys, or one each??”  Mrs. Winchester, the director, looks up from her folder as she patiently waits for either Kevin or Double D to answer. Kevin looks at Double D then at the little boy and girl outside of the office. They are still sitting in the corner away from the other children. Kevin feels his heart break at the sight and knows right away that he doesn't want anything to ever happen to them. Double D follows Kevin's line of sight and rests on the twins. They then look at each other and nod, silently agreeing with each other.
“We're looking for a boy and girl. Can you tell us if Johnny and Amara have been adopted out yet?? We're interested in them.” Kevin faces Mrs. Winchester and answers her questions. She opens her desk drawer and looks through her many folders. She stop on one in the back and pulls it out. On the back of it are notes with dates and names. She opens the nude, somewhat dirty folder open and flips through the many papers inside. After a few minutes of reading, Mrs. Winchester looks up from the folder. She sighs and then smiles slightly.
“It seems that there were some interested in Johnny but not Amara and vice versa. All have chosen different children in the end after both Johnny and Amara refused to leave without each other.” Mrs. Winchester closes the folder and sets it aside on her mahogany desk. Double D let's out a breath he wasn't aware that he was holding in. Kevin smiles and reaches for Double D's hand, squeezing lightly.
“We wouldn't dare to separate them from each other.” Double D looks at Jay-Jay and smiles. The little boy smiles back and reveals a gap in his teeth.
“I'm glad to hear you say that. They have been through so much already.” Mrs. Winchester smiles and open another desk drawer and pulls out a thick packet of paper for them to fill out.