Chapter Twenty-Four:

His hands were curled in my hair, angling my face closer to his. I fisted my small hands in the fabric of his jacket, pulling his body close to mine, and loving the fireworks I felt when he complied, gently guiding me to lean back against the plastic siding of the slide.

Finally, he pulled away first, his breaths quick and deep, trying to take in as much oxygen as possible. Letting his forehead fall to meet mine, I could feel rather than see him smiling from our close proximity, his lips teasing mine as he grinned.

"Happy New Year." I had to step on my tip toes to peck his lips, and he chuckled at the action, leaning down to capture mine once again, speaking against them softly.

"H-happy New Y-ye-year indeed-d."

.   .   .   .   .

My house looked so normal after tonight's events- after the slides and the fireworks and Nathan, so completely and utterly mundane it makes me laugh, curling into Nathan's side so as not to make too much noise.

He walks me up to the front porch, his fingers linked with mine, swinging jovially between us like a great pendulum. Bumping into my leg every other step.

"Sorry I kind of sprung that on you." I smile sheepishly up at him, feeling myself blush under his gaze, unable to look away from it.

"N-no, really, th-tha-thank you for br-bringing m-m-me. I h-had so m-mu-much f-fun." He flashes me one of his boyish grins and I can't help but grin back, perching up on my very tip toes (and even then he has to lean down still) to peck his cheek.

"I'm glad you opened a letter." My lips brush the corner of his mouth with every word as I fall back to my flat-footed height, rocking on my heels.

"M-me too. I'm gl-gl-glad I have s-so-som-someone nice en-enough to wr-write th-them for m-me."

I smile at his words, and reach for his other hand, hugging him tight, my face tucked into his chest.

Behind us, someone clears their throat, and I look up in shock, recognizing my mom's parka in seconds.

"Mom?" I pull away from Nathan's embrace, still clutching his hand, and meet her down the walkway, a smile on my face.

"I didn't think you were getting off work tonight?"

"A spot opened up, so I thought I'd come home early." She smiles at me, her eyes wandering to Nathan's towering form beside me, dwarfing me in his shadow.

"Oh, Mom this is Nathan Walker, Nathan this is my mom."

He shakes my moms hand with a blush, his eyes flicking to me continuously, as if asking if this is okay.

"P-pleasure to me-me-meet y-you Ma'am." He clears his throat, rising back to his full height as he stands by my side, his hand squeezing mine so tight I think he's cutting off circulation.

"Such a sweet boy, it's very nice to meet you Nathan." My mom winks at me as she walks by us, holding open the door after it's open.

"Nathan, it's rather late, or early, really, you're welcome to stay the night if you'd wish." She smiles at him kindly, and winks at me discreetly before heading inside, leaving us both flabbergasted on the front walk.

"I-is she j-jo-joking...?" Nathan turns to me, his eyes thrown wide, clearly disbelieving of her words.

I laugh at his expression, shaking my head. "Not at all. You can stay, if you want to. I don't want you to walk home in the cold this late. Would your parents mind?"

He pulls out his phone, sending a quick text, his hands shaking.

"We-we'll fi-find out. B-but ar-are you s-sure th-this is ok-okay?"