Chapter Thirty-Three:

"Have you seen my dress pants?" Matteo peaks his head around the door frame, watching me brush my teeth in the mirror over the sink.

After rinsing my mouth, I turn to him, trying to hold in a smirk at his current state. With his dress shirt unbuttoned over his Mickey Mouse boxers, his tie wrapped around his head, and the goofy grin on his face, he looks like a bad Risky Business remake attempt.

"I haven't, sorry. Did you check your bag?"

"Emma, have a little faith, I'm pretty sure the first place I would have checked for something that's missing is where it was supposed to be." Playfully rolling his eyes, he looks over my pajamas with an amused look.

"Is that what you're wearing to the wedding, an old t-shirt and plaid pajama pants?"

I stick my tongue out at him, poking him as I walk by. "Of course not, just haven't gotten changed yet."

"You should get started on that."

"Says the guy searching for his lost pants."

"..."

I laugh, waving over my shoulder as I climb the three quick steps to the loft, and shut the door behind me, completely unprepared for Mia and Peyton's tornado of our bedroom.

Numerous pairs of high heels lay scattered around the floor, acting like land mines as I maneuver around them to my bed. Matching, ginormous make up bags sit on each of their mattresses, overflowing with enough cosmetic products to open a beauty store.

The two of them have transformed one of the bed side tables into a make up counter cluttered with everything they could possibly need for today.

"Emma, what color do you want to do your toes?" I turn to the culprits of the mess, seated on the floor, dressed in robes. Mia has her hair held in place with rollers, while Peyton's is in a messy ponytail over her shoulder.

"I haven't really thought about it, I have closed toe shoes so...?"

"That doesn't matter! Here, I think this lilac would look great on you!" Enthusiastically waving me over, I join them on the floor, accepting the bottle of nail polish she holds out to me.

"So how are you going to do your hair?" Mia hands me a nail file, and I take my time grabbing it to stall answering her question.

"Um, I don't really know yet. How about you?"

"I'm going to straighten mine." Peyton gestures to the hair straightener on the night table, nearly bouncing in place from excitement.

"That will look nice, what's your dress like?"

"Alright, enough beating around the bush already. What was going on with you and Nathan, yesterday?" Stretching out her legs in front of her, Mia cheekily smiles at me, awaiting my answer.

"Nothing really, I mean, we walked around for a bit, looked at some of the stands-"

"Okay, Em, what really happened? Antonio said he found you guys hugging, is everything okay?"

I try to focus on painting my toes as I recount the incident with the snowmobile racer, and how Nathan came to my defense. By the end of my story, they're awing loud enough for the whole house to hear, despite by embarrassed begging for them to stop.

"Emma, we know our cousin, and this, this is huge for him, Nate isn't usually like that with people."

Pretending to be extremely interested in the state of my pinky toe, I lean forward, trying to hide my blush.