Chapter Twenty-Nine

"Are you sure you want todo this?" I rest my hand on the door nob, giving him a last chance option, just in case he's changed his mind.

With a determined nod, he wrings his hands, the deep breaths he'd been taking starting to quicken pace at the thought of what waits behind the door.

"Y-ye-ye-yeah." Nathan's voice cracks and he starts pacing, wide eyes downcast to the floor refusing to meet my worried look.

I block his path before he paces a trench in my front porch, reaching for his hands, unwinding them from each other, frowning at the red marks he's left from squeezing his fingers so hard.

"Nathan," briefly, he meets my gaze, and although it's not for long, it's more than enough time for me to see the anxiety building in them, to see the doubt clouding his mind.

"You don't have to do this if you don't want to Nathan, they'll understand. We don't have to walk in there." I nod towards the house, gesturing to my family no doubt setting up for our movie marathon inside.

"N-no I-I can d-d-do th-this." I think he's talking more to himself than to me, but I agree with him anyways, perching on my tiptoes to place a soft peck on his jaw.

"I'll be right here the entire time."

His nod is more sure this time, eyes focused on my own before squaring his shoulders and turning to face the front door, squeezing my hand in his.

"D-do-don't let g-go."

"I'll be right by your side, the whole night."

His smile, albeit small, is all the confirmation I need, pressing open the door.

Our living room has been rearranged to suit the mood, with the couches pushed back, leaving plenty of space for the thick comforter laid over the carpet. Pillows and blankets cover it's surface, while the coffee table pushed to the side offers a variety of snacks and drinks to choose from.

"In the kitchen!" I follow the sound of my mom's voice, guiding Nathan behind me through the doorway.

Beau and AJ are seated at the table, arguing over what movies we should watch, while Mom is pulling a tray of cookies out of the oven, placing them on the counter before turning to face us.

"Nathan we're so happy you can join us," her smile is welcoming, eyes not even straying to our joined hands as she speaks.

I give him an encouraging smile to which he returns, slightly, before answering, his breaths deep.

"Th-tha-thank y-you for h-ha-having me. I've b-been lo-looking for-forward to this." He nearly cuts off the circulation in my fingers from squeezing my hand so hard, but I make no show of it, just smiling at him softly as he speaks, offering reassurance.

"You're welcome anytime Nathan." I guide him after mom to the living room, dimming the lights on the way in to give the 'movie theater' effect to the room.

We settle down on the blanket, leaning back against the front of the couch. I pull a pillow on to my lap, smiling at Nathan beside me, gauging his reaction so far.

Reaching out, I grab his fidgeting hands, and interlock his fingers with mine, leaving them to rest on his thigh.

"You're doing great." I offer him a soft smile, and he tries to return it, just a small twitch of his lips.

AJ pops in the first movie, and we all grow quiet, settling ourselves in to begin the series.

Regardless how many times we've seen it, the Harry Potter series is still one of the all time favorites in my house, and almost always the go-to pick for a late night, movie marathon.