Chapter Forty-Four:

"Look, they even have a Ferris Wheel!" I point out the large structure on the far side of the Rogers Center, glowing with lights as it rhythmically spins.

Nathan surprised me this afternoon, showing up at my house with his pre-bought tickets for the famous indoor carnival. I practically danced around my room to get dressed I was so excited. Despite living in Toronto my whole life, and hearing about the annual event, I've never been, always finding myself too busy or unable to buy tickets in time.

We stop in the middle of one of the wide, tent lined rows, giving me time to admire the atmosphere they've built up.

Games, booths, and food vendors line the bustling lanes, each adding their own personal touch to the overall picture. The smell of fried food and buttered popcorn wafts up through the air, doubling with the music being played over the speakers. I'd imagine that if you sat high up in the stands lining the walls of the Rogers Center, the ground below would look like a rainbow with all the colors; striped tents, bundles of balloons, flashing, neon light-up signs, voluminous, colored clown wigs, blow up slides and bouncy houses, light-bulb lined rides and games.

It's the kind of place that makes you feel young, that makes you feel like a little kid again, awed by the sights and sounds, by all the opportunity.

"It's so beautiful," I turn to smile at Nathan, tugging his hand closer to mine, wanting to share every feeling of this moment with him.

Eyes trained on my face he smiles gently, leaning over to kiss my forehead. "I-It r-re-really i-is."

. . . . .  

"W-what d-do yo-you want t-to d-d-do fi-first?" Nathan points to the tents as we pass, naming them off. "B-ba-balloon D-darts? Ri-ring To-toss? D-Dunk T-tank? O-Or a-a-re you hu-hungry?"

"All of it, anything. What do you want to do first? What was your favorite carnival game when you were a kid?"

He smiles down at me, and then back up around him, looking at all the glowing signs, trying to find one that stands out in his mind.

The multi-colored lights cast shadows over his face, and yet accentuate the sharp angles of his jaw, tinting his skin bright parlor shades of red and blue. He looks like the model off the front of a book cover, like some epiphanic, mind-opening, complex character. I try to picture where I'd fit in, where I would seem in place on a cover of that nature, standing next to someone like Nathan.

"H-how ab-about r-ring t-toss?"

I soon discover Nathan has a knack for carnival games; he knows what's just enough force to put into his throw, or has the perfect aim for the target. He wins me a teddy bear at the ring-toss, and a strip of tattoos at the balloon darts, only to be accompanied by the friendship bracelets he wins at skee ball.

I win a gumball ring for participation.

"It's not that funny." I grumble, examining the plastic band on my finger. Nathan is laughing so hard he's swaying on his feet, unable to hold a straight face every time he looks at me.

"It i-is th-tho-though." He wraps his arms around me from behind, dipping his face into the crook of my neck to hide the teasing smile I know is there.

"We can't all be blessed by the carnival game gods Nathan."

"H-hey, I-I'm s-sorry, you're r-ri-right, it's n-not f-fu-funny."

I can't help my smile. "Okay, maybe it's a little funny."

He pinches my side gently, before grabbing my hand to guide me to a row of food stands. "I-I'll m-ma-make it u-up t-to y-you."