Chapter Forty-Eight:

It's the perfect set up; fuzzy socks, big sweater, nest of pillows, fluffy blanket, comforter. Stack of my favorite books to reread, mug of peppermint tea within arms length on my night table, and soft instrumental music playing from my phone as it charges.

Carefully, I tuck myself under the blankets, settling in for a nice, quiet night of relaxing reading. I've just barely started scanning through the titles to decide what to read first when my phone starts ringing, interrupting the fragility of the moment.

Frankly, the series of events to follow should have been expected; I reach over to grab the phone off the night stand, knock over a pillow, nearly squeal at the rush of cold air that meets me in it's absence, and bend down to grab it. This is my first mistake.

I bend down too fast, and the momentum carries me over, making me lose my balance. In an attempt to stay on the bed, I twist my body in the covers, an act that only loosens them from the nest of pillows, and it's in a rather soft heap of blankets and pillows that I hit the floor, face first.

With my cheek pressed against the ground, I reach my arm up, palming the surface of my night stand until I find my phone. Just as I bring it down to my ear, prepared to answer- it stops ringing.

One glance at the number tells me it was Nathan, and that alone is enough to make me sit up, and rearrange my nest before I call him back.

The dial tone has barely even started when he picks up.

"E-emma?"

"Hey, Nathan, what's up?"

"I'm n-n-not i-in-int-nterrupting a-nything am I-I?"

I have to try and keep the smile out of my voice as I admire the spot I'd previously occupied on the floor. "Not at all, is everything okay?"

"Ev-everything i-i-is g-great. A-are yo-you b-bu-busy tonight?"

"Not really no, did you have something in mind?"

"Dr-dress wa-warm. I'll p-pi-pick y-you up in f-fi-five."

He hangs up before I can agree or disagree, leaving me bursting with curiosity. Surprises aren't exactly Nathan's style, but I won't object to one, especially when he sounded so excited.

I scramble to throw on more presentable clothes, and race down stairs to be waiting for him when he arrives.

"What's got you so excited?" AJ walks by me on his way to the kitchen, without a doubt noticing my quick double-knotting job on my shoes.

"Nathan's coming to pick me up, he planned something for tonight."

"That's nice of him." AJ hands me my hat, and matching scarf, watching with a slight smile as I carefully pull them on.

"I thought so. He's usually not one to do surprises,"

Chuckling under his breath, AJ turns to the kitchen, trying to hide his smile.

"What?" I follow him through to the kitchen, watching as he searches through the pantry, apparently for nothing in particular.

"Nothing," at my look he continues, in a quieter, softer voice than before, as if this is all a secret, "Em, I don't know how serious you guys are. I'm not speaking for Nathan or anything, but based off what I've seen? Him doing all this for you, the surprises, the dates, all of it...none of it is that random. A man would do anything for the woman he loves, simple as that."

The word gets lodged in my throat as I think over what he said, as if it were a physical object rather than a feeling, an emotion.

"Don't overthink it Emma, it's just my opinion, that's all." He smiles over my shoulder, looking at the door.