Chapter Forty-Five:

"Oh my gosh, Nathan!" I hug him so tightly it hurts my arms, backing up to admire his new hair cut.

The sides are nice and cropped, and he's cut off the tendrils that hung in his face. From the briefest touch, I can tell that he must have showered before coming over, because the tips of hair he has pushed up in the front are still wet with water.

"D-do yo-you l-li-like it?" He runs a hand through it, shifting nervously on his feet as he awaits my asnwer.

"I love it, it looks so good! Do you like it?" The shorter style makes his cheek bones more defined, and it shows off his square-jaw line. It also allows his scar to be completely visible; you could trace the crackled red line from under his eye to his forehead. He looks beautiful.

A blush rises up his neck to his cheeks as he nods, "I g-g-go-got ar-around t-to th-thin-thinking maybe y-you we-w-were ri-right."

Confused, I help him out of his coat, hanging it in the closet as he continues speaking.

"M-maybe if I-I st-stop s-seeing my-myself a-as a m-monster, p-people w-will st-stop think-thinking I a-am."

"You've never been a monster, but regardless, I'm proud of you."

It warms my heart to see how far he's come in a few months, how much he's grown as a person. I can't help but feel proud, to know how hard he's been trying, and how much it's paid off.

His grin is infectious, and I smile back as I guide him into the living room.

"Can I interest you in a cup of hot chocolate?"

"S-sure, th-thank you."

"Wait a few minutes while I get the kettle boiling, in the mean time, think about what movie you want to watch."

When I return, two steaming mugs in hand, Nathan has narrowed down our options to three movies, all equally good.

I settle in next to him on the couch, tucking my fuzzy-sock clad feet under his leg while leaning back on the arm rest.

"Have you decided?"

He smiles in thanks at the mug I offer him, glancing back down at the movies in his lap with a look of pure concentration.

"I d-don't kn-know. Wh-what d-do yo-you th-think?"

I examine the movie cases, trying to decide which one I like better. 

"It's a tough decision...Back To The Future, Back To The Future 2, or Back To The Future 3?"

"I'm f-f-feeling th-the f-fi-first o-one, y-you?"

I nod, wiggling my toes under his thigh, an action that makes him smile. "Agreed, you kind of have to start at the beginning."

"W-want me t-to st-start it?"

"Set it up, but let me make popcorn before you hit play." I get up too fast, excited by the movie and the idea of popcorn, and my fuzzy socks slip on the hardwood floor, sending me reeling backwards.

I hit the ground so hard, the sound of it echoes. For a few, quiet moments, everything seems eerily calm. And then the pain starts up, a dull ache in my tail bone, and the back of my head.

"E-Emma? A-ar-are you ok-okay?" Nathan's head appears in my line of sight, his mouth turned down in concern. It's hard to be sure though, since my eyes are blurred with tears.

"Just give me a minute." The flaring pain sharpens until my tail bone is throbbing, no doubt due to a forming bruise.

"C-can you s-si-sit u-up?"