Chapter Forty-Two:

We're two of the few people in the room, settled in our seats well before everyone else starts to arrive. Nathan is squeezing my hand so hard it's starting to hurt; tucked as close against my side as our chairs will allow, his feet stretched out beside my own.

Our lunches sit untouched before us, looking odd from this angle. It seems like so long since I sat at this table, surrounded by my friends with laughter bubbling in my throat.

Luke and Parker arrive first, barley faltering in their stride as they near the table, taking the seats across from us with polite hello's.

I squeeze his hand, trying to transfer my strength into his body, to telepathically tell him everything I can't say out loud.

Swallowing hard, Nathan tries for a small smile, even if it looks like more of a grimace.

"H-he-hello." I can't help but grin as he straightens himself, accentuating the staggering number of inches he has over both Luke and Parker; an act that makes me look even shorter than I am.

"How were your morning classes?" Despite never taking his eyes of us, Parker waves at the twins as they arrive, their teasing banter quieting down as they take the seats beside me.

Nathan and I had strategically picked the two seats on the end when we'd arrived, so he wouldn't have to worry about the struggles of sitting next to someone he doesn't know. With him on the very end, and me next to him, it only leaves the seats across from us, and the seats next to me open.

As the cafeteria fills in, the volume of the room rising, and our table grows full, I can feel Nathan getting more relaxed, obviously content to sit back and join the background of the overall image; allowing my friends and I to talk while he nods along. He even seems comfortable enough to eat a bit, occasionally taking bites of his turkey sandwich.

We leave early to get our books from our locker, although mostly for Nathan's benefit of not pushing things too fast, taking the stairs up to my floor first.

When we reach an empty hallway, I pull him in to a hug, unable to hide my pride in him.

"You did so good, Nathan they love you." He hugs me back, lifting me up off my feet, so my toes are kicking at empty air as he spins us. Fond of our slightly more equal height difference, I stretch up to peck his cheek, surprised when he moves at the last second so his lips cover mine instead.

. . . . .

"Guys I'm heading out, don't wait up for me!" Sitting on the steps, I pull on fuzzy blue socks before slipping my feet into a pair of snow-boots.

I get two grunts in response from AJ and Matteo, both of which are too fascinated with the football game on TV to truly acknowledge my words. Shaking my head with a smile, I pull on my coat and scarf, stepping out the door before they realize I'm gone.

Despite it being early march, the Canadian winter hasn't let up in the slightest; instead, we've been bombarded with cold fronts, and two heavy snowfalls in the past week. The snow banks along the sidewalks are as high as my knee, yet rock solid with ice coverings.

The city night-life seems to come alive before me; the lamp posts and street lights are flickering on, and the evening rush hour is growing as everyone gets off work. The roads are already packed bumper to bumper, lighting up the streets like a Christmas tree.

Joining the throngs of pedestrians moving to and fro along the sidewalks, I turn up the volume on my phone, relishing in the soft lyrics that poor through to my ear-buds. I feel like I'm in a music video as I walk, hands jammed in coat pockets, cheeks stinging from the sudden cold. Watching the sun lower behind a skyline of buildings like a fading candle, I cross the final intersection to my destination, already smiling as I spot Nathan, standing patiently outside the front door.