Chapter Forty-Nine:

"Happy birthday dear Nathan, happy birthday to you," as the song trails off, Nathan squeezes my hand under the table before he closes his eyes and blows out the candles. Everyone claps as Helen swoops in to take the cake back to the counter, so it can be cut and divided into slices.

The night has been one to remember, in celebration of Nathan's 17th birthday. We'd spent the day together; homemade cinnamon buns for breakfast as we binge watched the first season of Friends, and then lunch at his favorite diner after going bowling with his cousins.

I love being a part of it; watching the ease at which he interacts with his family, the laughter he lets loose. It's so wonderful to see him be truly unworried about people's perception, just for a day. It warms my heart to have him be so carefree, both at the diner, and when we were bowling.

Helen demanded everyone be present for the birthday dinner, and I couldn't be happier that I could make it; she'd made Nathan's favorite- chicken parmesan with homemade sauce- and his aunts and uncles had been able to make it for dessert; an array of pies, pastries, cake, and of course, cannoli's.

"Alright, gift time, me first," Matteo excitedly pushes his rather interestingly wrapped gift to Nathan, a proud smile on his face. Duck tape was used to hold the blue, shiny paper in place, and it makes it difficult for Nathan to unwrap.

"You know what, I'll just grab scissors, and hack away at this so you can open your others gifts." We laugh as Matteo takes his gift back to the kitchen, and watch as he attempts to cut the tape away.

"Us next, I'm sure you'll love it." Peyton winks at him as Mia passes him the colorful gift bag, and they watch on in anticipation as he removes the tissue paper and digs out the book series box set he'd been eyeing for weeks every time we went to the mall. It makes me happy I didn't decide to go with that as his birthday gift.

"Th-thank you, I-I've b-be-been d-dying t-to s-st-start the s-s-series." With all the tenderness in the world, he re-wraps the box-set in tissue paper before carefully placing it off to the side.

"Sorry it's not wrapped really fancy or anything..." Enzo gets a laugh as he slides an envelope across the table, but Nathan greets it with just as much excitement as before, carefully opening it to reveal the Toronto FC tickets inside.

"I figured the three of us could go this Summer," Enzo throws a balled-up napkin at Matteo in the kitchen, making his Father chuckle. Helen smacks Enzo's arm as she walks by to gather dishes, a form of punishment for his actions, but she's smiling too.

"Th-that's r-re-really g-great E-Enzo, t-thank you." His smile is so wide I'm worried it's hurting him. Even though they bug each other, endlessly, I know Nathan loves spending time with his brothers, especially since they're so busy with school. It makes the time they get to spend together more special; I can relate, seeing as it's the same way with my Mom.

"Cake everyone?" I help Helen pass out the cake slices as Nathan unwraps the rest of his gifts (a nice sweater from his aunt and uncle, gift cards and candy from his cousin, Antonio, and new shoes from his parents).

As I place Nathan's slice, the biggest one, down in front of him, I lean in close so I can whisper in his ear without being overheard.

"I'll give you my gift afterwards,"

He gives me a curious look as I walk away, and I can't help but cross my fingers, hoping he truly does like what I got him.

.                 .               .                 .                    .

"I'm so full," I collapse backwards onto Nathan's bed, hands resting over my stomach.

After dessert, Helen had brought out fruit trays and cookies while everyone talked and shared stories.