Chapter Thirty:

"Dress?"

"Check."

"Shoes?"

"Check."

"Toiletries?"

"Check."

"Clothes, including PJ's?"

"Check."

"I think you're all good to go." AJ smiles at me, placing the carefully stuffed duffel bag on the ground beside me.

Pulling on my boots, I look out the front window, waiting to see the familiar Walker van pull up into the driveway.

The excitement of the situation is finally starting to catch up with me, building in my chest like an inflated balloon, nearly bursting whenever I see a pair of headlights flying by, only accompanied by a sigh when they don't stop at our door.

"How long did they say the drive was going to be?" Beau leans against the hand railing of the stairs, arms crossed over his chest as he looks down at me, seeming even bigger than usual because of my spot on the floor.

"Two and a half hours, but probably more like three with the weather."

I was planning sleeping through most of it, although knowing Enzo and Matteo, I'm doubting I'll ever be able to relax long enough to feel tired.

Before he can respond, my phone rings, filling the silence. I reach for it in my pocket, smiling at the familiar ringtone I'd assigned to Luke's contact. Beyoncé's 'Single Ladies' was just too perfect for him.

"Hey, I'm just about to head out, what's up-"

"OH THANK GOD YOU'RE STILL HOME. Did you pack warm clothing? It's supposed to be really cold. And how about the dress, did you iron it before you packed it? Oh, and you're toothbrush, because we both know how importan-"

"Luke, Luke! Calm down." Laughing, I pull myself up to my feet, staring down at my boots. "Everything's packed, I didn't forget anything, I promise."

"Awwwwwwwww. Look at my Baby Bear's all grown up. I just wanted to catch you before you left to the middle of no where, unable to get cell service for the next four days, doing God knows what with your new boyfriend, leaving me behind-"

"Luke! He's not my boyfriend, and we won't be doing anything." The urge to glare at him through my phone is nearly overwhelming as Beau stares me down, clearly being able to hear his friend's yelling.

"Whatever you say Button-nose. Anyways, I gotta bounce, but have a great weekend okay, can't wait to hear all about it."

Subconscious rubbing at my nose, I smile, wanting to awe at his almost rare display of seriousness. "I will, don't worry."

"Love you Baby Bear, be careful out there, anything goes wrong and I'm one call away alright?"

"Love you to Lukie. Thank you."

For once, after we hang up, Beau doesn't object to our words, just simply picks at the threading in his jeans, playing it off like he overheard nothing.

Smiling to myself, I reach out to squish them both in a hug, my head barely meeting their shoulder's as we huddle up, their arms around my back.

"Mom said she'd call you when she got off work, but she really did want to be here." AJ gives me a sympathetic smile as we pull apart, his eyes darting out the window as a set of headlights bathes the front room in an eerie glow as it pulls up in the driveway.

"I know, don't worry." With more of a struggle than I would have liked, dragging a laugh out of both my brothers, I hoist my duffel bag over my shoulder, turning to the door to meet them at the van.