Chapter 1 - Ben

I opened the door to be greeted by the chilly Alaskan night. I sat down on the balcony with my hands in my pockets to keep them warm, some people would find this weather unbearable but it is my favourite. Something about the snow-covered pines and the frosted lake puts a grin to my face. I would give anything to go for a run now, my wolf Amoux has been bugging me all day to be free, alas I don't think it would be appropriate if I ran off tonight.

It's a big day today, the new Alpha and Luna have been chosen. Yes, I said chosen, here in the Haiti pack the existing Alpha and Luna chose who will follow in their place and led this pack. Alpha and Luna Jackson announced tonight that they are expecting a baby and have decided to hand the position down to Chase and Penny. This wasn't a big shock though; Chase and Penny are the right guys for the job. Chase is a natural born leader and Penny is so kind and considerate. Now they won't be Alpha and Luna right away, it will take a few months for Chase and Penny to get ready and learn everything they need to know. So, as you can see it wouldn't be the right to ditch your best friend on his big day.

Crowds have never been my thing and right now Chase and Penny are being swarmed by excited pack members and elders all congratulating the two. I watch as Chase shakes hand after hand and Penny listens intently to some Elders. Every now and then Chase will lean down and give Penny a peck on the cheek and she will return this gesture with a hand squeeze. How I want that. A mate. I haven't told anyone but that is what I want more than anything. Mates are the person who is just right for you, chosen by the Moon Goddess they become the most important thing in your life. When you turn 18 your transition into a full werewolf is complete and it is than when your senses allow you to find your mate, usually by their smell. Apparently, it is the most intoxicating thing every, or so I've heard. Chase and Penny have been friends for as long as they can remember seeing as they were neighbours. On Penny's eighteenth birthday Chase came over to wish her happy birthday and the rest is history. Don't get me wrong, I love hanging out with them but that first week was just ridiculous, they could barely keep their hands off each other. I'm not that mad though because I know when I meet my mate, if I meet my mate, I will be just the same because mates are like a drug, one that you never want to give up. So here I sit, staring out at the stars and the moon, listening to muffled chatter coming from inside.

"Geez Ben, its freezing what the hell are you doing" Penny's shrieks once she got outside. Closing the door, she shuffles over and plops herself down beside me. I chuckle as she attempts to warm herself up my rapidly running her hands up and down her arms. "Shouldn't the future Luna be inside shaking hands and kissing babies?" I state. She chuckles than retorts "Well shouldn't the future Beta be doing the same." I raise my eyebrows at her shocked and she gives an exasperated sigh, "Seriously Ben" She groans "you're his best friend course he was going to choose you."  Beta, I let that sink in. What an honour and one that I won't mess up, my Uncle was the Beta Two Generations ago, he told me that it was the most rewarding part of his life. Being the leaders of a pack means that you hold all their lives in your hands, everything you do is for them. It may seem like a lot of pressure and it is but we do have help from the elders who give guidance when needed. I look over at Penny who seems to be thinking just like me. "You nervous" I ask, she gives me a nod but then smiles and says, "I'm more excited to find out who my partner in crime is going to be." She grins at me while mine fades away, I stare out into the woods and a comfortable silence sets in. "She's out there" utters Penny. "It's been 3 years Pen", she frowns. "Patience Benjamin, good things come to those who wait" she preaches. "Very wise, your becoming a Luna already" I chuckle, she gives me a proud smile than after a moment jumps up and says, "Alright future Beta, I think it's time you come back to the party so that we can make this thing official." I follow her inside and do my best to clear my thoughts of my mate to no success, I haven't even met her and she's already has me wrapped around her finger.

********************

Hey Guys, I hoped you enjoyed the start to my story :).  More coming soon.