Chapter 16 - Ben

I was currently standing next to Chase as we talked to the Head of Defence, Carl Paul. He is a broad guy around mid-forties. He has had this position for a long time and that is because he is damn good at his job. Carl manages training the pack, most wolves in our pack train to become warriors. Their job is too patrol the pack boundaries and when needed go out to help other packs with threats, or threats that we have here. All members of the pack begin training when they first shift, this is not only to make them strong but give them guidance as they learn how to control their wolf. Than when they get old enough they can choose whether they want to continue being a warrior. We expect all pack members to pull their weight around here, at least a little. So, if you don't want to be a warrior there are plenty of other jobs that they can choose from. Cooking, grounds keeper, doctor etc.

These last couple of weeks, since Blaire moved in next to me, have been busy. Chase and I have been meeting lots of people around the pack and learning from the Alpha and Beta. It's good, keeps me from thinking about her as much, not that I don't still think about her all the time. It's actually kind of annoying because there is nothing I can do about it. I've seen her 3 times since she moved in. The first time was the first day. I had just finished doing an afternoon jog with Chase, I looked up towards the house and my eyes caught hers. Her shoulders relaxed when she looked in my eyes, this made my heart jump a little. That gave me hope, deep down inside she must know I'm not a threat.

The second time was when I was in the kitchen getting myself some breakfast when I heard two pairs of footsteps coming down the stairs, I looked up to see her. She stood in my hoodie and some short shorts that were barely visible due to the length of my hoodie. Her short legs shot out from them and my eyes trailed down them to her scrunched up big socks. Damn she looked so cute. I coughed than mumble a 'I got to go...' before I scooted out the back door.

The third time was yesterday morning. I had just got back from an early morning run; the moon was still up. This is my favourite time to run. I was walking back towards the house with some shorts on that I had left by the forest entrance when I saw her, illuminated by the moonlight she stood leaning against the balcony looking at the stars. I froze where I stood and watched her. How is she so beautiful? She was wrapped up in my hoodie and was wearing long sweat pants that rumpled at the bottom on the floor.

I thought about leaving, turning around and finding another door to enter through but when I was about to the light hit her cheeks and that's when I saw the tear stains. My heart clenched and before I could stop myself...

"Are you okay?" I asked.

Blaire's head snapped towards mine, her eyes wide and her mouth fell open a little and a quiet little gasp escaped. I just about punched myself in the face. I scrunched up my face and closed my eyes waiting for the sound of the door slamming.

After a couple seconds, I opened my eyes to see her still standing there, looking at me. We both just stared at each other for a bit, testing out the waters. I was about to repeat myself when she spoke, "Yea." Her soft voice filled the air around me. I kept looking at her, trying to figure out if I should pursue this some more or just walk away. She saw the look on my face and spoke up again. "I just wanted some fresh air." I nodded in response wanting her to tell me why she was crying but not wanting to push it.

After a few seconds, I realised I was still standing out in the middle of the field without a top on. "Do you mind if I..." I trailed off pointing towards the deck. She looked between me and where I was pointing before saying sure. I slowly walked towards the deck with my head towards ground. I could feel her eyes follow me up the deck. When I got a couple meter away from her a gust of wind pushed passed her and her smell came wafting into my nose. I paused mid step. I looked up at her and saw her looking back at me, her hands gripping tightly to my hoodie around her.

After a moment, I tore my eyes away and walked inside, then came back out, blanket in hand that was resting on the couch. She never once stopped watching me with those big round blue eyes. I stopped walking once I was within arm's length on her and then held out the blanket. She looked down at the blanket in my hand and made the cutest little frown I have ever seen, she looked back up at me in curiosity. I gave a little chuckle before saying, "here" and gesturing to her shoulders. She stayed still, so very slowly I moved closer and wrapped the blanket around her and dropped it on her shoulders.

I then took a step back and watched her she grabbed the ends of the blanket and pull it tight. I gave her one final smile and turned around to leave.

While walking to my room I thought about how all I wanted to do was hug her, and wipe the tears off her cheeks.  Alas baby steps.  One day, I reminded my self.  One day she will come to me for comfort.

Little did I know that day wasn't so far off. 

********************

Hey guys. How is everyone today?  Did you enjoy my cliffhanger?  Just realised I kinda suck at thoes so thought I would chuck one in there :D

Just realised that I have more views than words written, that's crazy to me!!! Anyway hope you like the chapter. I liked writing this one. We are finally seeing interaction between the two, yay.

Anyway until next time.