Chapter 6

Adam’s POV

I check my message while at the red light, and I do not message her back, I don’t want to make her mad plus I am only a few minutes from home.

As I pull up I see Holly sitting in her car, and it makes me think of her singing she will be loved, even though she did not sing the lines I know where you hide alone in your car, it totally looks like that is what she is doing.

Holly’s POV

I walk in to his place; I want to go over all the legal stuff with him.

“Adam based on the fact that he told her, he would make her pay for not listening to him, as well as him telling you that, they charged him with First Degree Murder, If convicted he will get 25 to life”. “Here in LA a life sentence means life, if he gets life without parole he will die in prison”.

“They also added another of Battery causing great bodily injury to me. punished by imprisonment in the state prison for two, three, or four years, or in a county jail for not exceeding one year, or by a fine not exceeding ten thousand dollars ($10,000), or by both the fine and imprisonment”.

“I plan to make sure he dies in prison and even that is far better than what he deserves. I really just wanted you to know what was going on and I honestly just wanted to talk to you and see you face to face, I still feel like you are the only person that understands what I am going through. I am sorry I have not talked to you much since I left here that night, I really did just want to let you move on with your life!

Adam’s POV

Did she just say she wanted me to move on with my life? How the hell does she think I would do that? I hope he gets life, she is right it is better than he deserves. He turned our lives upside down. “How can you say I really need to move on with my life, I mean really I still feel like it’s my fault! I think about her almost as much as I think about you” OH did I just say that out loud? “I mean I talk to you and I think of you both, I barely knew Kate and yet I miss her, it seems weird”

God why do I say stuff, stupid Adam ever tried thinking things and not actually saying them, now she is going to think you like her and you will have scared her off.

Holly’s POV

Did he just say he thinks about me? This is why I have been keeping my distance from him. “Adam it has been months why are you still thinking about me?”

“I don’t know I just do! I think I finally figured out the reason why this happened” Adam said

“What do you mean the reason why this happened. It happened because Mark is an abusive piece of trash, who killed my only friend”

“Which is where I came in, I think it happened when it did so I could meet you. So that you and I could become friends, and I think that this is harder for both of us because we have been trying to avoid each other, or at least you have been avoiding me” Adam said

What, I know I am not that obvious, but he is right I have been avoiding him. I didn’t think he wanted to be friends I thought he wanted to keep an eye on me because of how guilty I feel. He is right though I need a friend and he could be there for me.

“You are right Adam, I have been avoiding you, I wanted you to move on and forget all about me, and I felt like you were only talking to me to try to make sure I still didn’t feel guilty anymore, but I don’t know if that guilt will ever go away” God why did I tell him that.

My phone buzzes, and I check my messages. “Shit Adam. I am putting my phone down and walking away for a minute, don’t read my message”

“Why would I read your message…wait do you want me to read it?”

“NO” as I shake my head yes over and over.

I walk away for a minute.

Adam’s POV

Why does she want me to read her message? I read it and right away pick up my phone…James can you be here at 9am.  I hang up with him and she walks back in the room.

I can tell she is mad, and I don’t know why but I end up hugging her. “It’s ok, I mean this is your job be here at 9am”

“But it’s not fair I don’t know why we are even going after him” she said

“James actually might be really helpful, he actually talked to Kate that night”

It never actually struck me until that moment but James did talk to her and he might be helpful, I know he told me he asked her a lot of questions about Mark so they might let him tell them.

Holly’s POV

“Thanks for listening to me tonight, sorry if I ruined your night but if it makes you feel better I am glad that you turned your chair for me tonight” I say.

I really am glad that Adam seemed to like what I did to his song and after knowing that it was for Kate, I saw him smile a little more. I think to myself…should I sing him the one Kate and I would have sang.

“Adam I spent all day debating the song, originally Kate and I were supposed to sing together, and we were going to sing I turn to you, then the night at the hospital when I was sitting on the floor and you guys thought I was mumbling to myself I actually was singing that song. Do you want to hear Kate’s beautiful singing voice?”

“Of course, please” Adam says

I start the song on my phone  when I’m lost in the rain