Soulmates

I can't help but to glance at my wrist every few seconds.

My time is almost up.

I only have a few minutes.

No, I don't mean the bell which signals start of classes, well, maybe as it also meant my doom due to the undone home work.

But what I really meant was meeting my soulmate.

The person I was destined to be with. The person I was fated to fall in love with. The person that would love me for who I am. The person who would stay with me no matter what. The person who wouldn't care about my faults and flaws. The person who wouldn't choose anything over being able to be with me. The person that was to complete me.

God, I was so nervous that I hadn't slept a wink. It wasn't too obvious but still, I wanted to look good for when we meet.

I wonder if its showing how much effort I had put on today. I was wearing my regular outfit of a white shirt + black pants + leather jacket + white sneakers combo but I took a few minutes to straighten them out. I took a little longer staring at the mirror while fixing my hair. I sprayed a little bit more cologne than usual.

The timer on my wrist was onto seconds. I was too busy thinking through about my day that I did not notice it nearing 0.

I nervously tapped my pen against the desk. I was counting down in my head. I couldn't stop myself. I looked around and tried to focus somewhere. Anywhere.

30 seconds left.

Suddenly, our teacher came in with the principal, telling us about a new student.  A transferee from the school just outside our city.

This is it.

I knew it.

This is it.

10 seconds left.

The principal started called her, motioning her to come in.

5 seconds left

I couldn't look at her face. I wasn't ready.

I stared at her dress. Her shoes. Her necklace. Just not her face.

But I was tempted to. It was as if there was this invisible hand pushing me to look at her face.

Anyway, I knew I had to.

So I did.

I looked at her to see her stare right back at me.

She smiled at me and looked to our teacher and introduced herself to our class before sitting down next to me.

"I find it unfair that my soulmate already knows my name. I do not know his."

"Well, my dear Nadine, my name is James. James Reid."

Found a random prompt on Facebook and I missed writing so why not 💖